Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrp78
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 33

Re: Outlook hangs on every received e-mail VSE 8.8 patch 9

jasonbu, please contact intel and create a support case. The more people who open cases, the better our chances for a fix sooner than later.

If it's not one thing it's another! We got away from Patch 8 to fix the slow install issues on Windows 10. Now this Outlook hang thing has cropped up.

I had already put in a ticket with McAfee.

We usually like to test Patches for awhile, but everyone was basically forced to install Patch 9 for Windows 10 to work.

illana
Level 7
Message 13 of 33

Did you get anywhere with them? I just got the standard reply of "send us 10000 logs and we will get back to you"

jrp78
Level 10
Message 14 of 33

I was told by my support rep that "we are aware of the issue and we are collecting all these details to identify the cause."

If this is in fact the case, the more data they have the better. Please submit logs if you can.

illana
Level 7
Message 15 of 33

Anyone got any further with this? I've sent logs and just waiting on them to come back to me

FYI.  Probably not related, but I had an issue once where GTi lookup's weren't working correctly and Outlook stalled while the GTi lookup timed out.

illana
Level 7
Message 17 of 33

"Thank you for contacting McAfee Business support.

Please go through the link mentioned below.Well at the moment When Email is recieved that outlook is paused "Hangs" until the message body is scanned -  This is working as designed. This prevents users from opening the email before scanning. Changing this behavior is a feature request

https://kb.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=TN300497""

That's the response I was given. Seeing as I see this nowhere in the patch 9 release notes and the fact I have been linked an article that does not exist, I can safely say I'm mildly pissed off.

Might just revert to patch 8 for now since we're still on win 7, terrible service though.

McAfee Employee dvarnell
McAfee Employee
Message 18 of 33

1175605KB79673VSE 8.8
Patch 9
n/aIssue: Outlook 2010/2016 temporarily becomes unresponsive when receiving emails with large attachments when the VSE 8.8 Patch 9 On Delivery Email Scanner is installed.
Workaround: To improve the amount of time the initial pause occurs, turn on Cached Exchange Mode. To turn this option on and to review other performance improvement tips for VSE 8.8, see the Related Article.

NOTES: Expected behavior of the VSE Outlook Email Scanner:

• Outlook is intentionally paused while both the message attachments and body are downloaded locally and scanned to prevent access to the email.
  • After scanning, the Outlook client will download the message attachments and body again for the user.

See if you can give this a shot.

illana
Level 7
Message 19 of 33

Cached exchange mode is enabled by default within our organisation and I have checked with the people affected and it is enabled.

I'm not sure how it would affect it either as it scans on delivery...

EDIT: here's the response I have from my service call:

• Turn off the Heuristic network check for suspicious files. For steps to access the On Delivery Email Scan Policies policy, see KB70130.
  • Disabling the GTI lookup can improve performance if there is slow GTI or failed lookups. For details, see KB75933. Alternatively address network issue resulting in slow or failed GTI lookups.
  • Disable this feature if the mail server is already protected. For details, see KB69030

So in order to make McAfee work properly, the advice is to not use it.

Gee, I wonder if there's any reason to continue paying for this?

jrp78
Level 10
Message 20 of 33

Same here. We only use cached mode so that's not it. And again, nothing changed in our environment other than upgrading to Patch 9.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community