cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: Outlook Scan

I think it can be selected not to install if you use the Installation Designer to create the VirusScan package but its a bit late when the application has been rolled out in its default state.

Just wondering if anyone found a way to disable the addin as I'm having the exact same issue over 250 users.

Really need to disable the outlook scan addin.

Unfortunately not, where performance issues have been the case we've just been turning it off manually where needed.

We have since used the Installation Designer for VirusScan 8.7i to create a custom package which doesnt install the Outlook Scan part and have tested that successfully and will have deployed it by the end of this year.

Workaround

We experienced the same issue with VSE 8.0i and 8.5i. Memory usage of the Outlook process was between 5 and 10 times normal. Disabling the Outlook scan or Exchange scan add-in solved the problem, but was not an acceptable option for about 1500 clients on our Citrix farm.

We used the installation option remove=EmailScan /qb- to remove the add-in. (Please keep in mind the option is case sensitive.) We used a batch file to use the locally available copy of the VSE setup files. A more managable solution would be to use this same installation option within ePo.

I ran the remove option during working hours with logged on users. After closing down Outlook and starting it again the add-in disappears and the memory usage is back to normal levels.

Page file usage on our Citrix servers dropped from nearly 100 % to less than 20%.

We have opened a service request at McAfee support for this problem, the above option to remove the email scan add-in is just a temporary workaround.

RE: Workaround

Thanks, within EPO version 4 I had to add :

ADDLOCAL=ALL REMOVE=EmailScan /q

as the command to remove email scan.

RE: Workaround

If this is an issue for your environment, just make sure you build your package with the Installation Designer and configure it to not install the Outlook Scan. That way, new installs don't come with the add-on install.

We use it here for our desktops, but not on our laptops, but we install it on all our PCs in case we ever need to turn it on to protect our environment. To disable it for our laptops, all I did was create a separate policy for our laptops in ePO and modified the On Delivery Email Scan Policies so that the checkbox for Enable on-delivery email scanning was cleared. That got around our problem.

Outlook 2000/2007 slow in opening up

We have ePO 3.6.1 and VSE8.5SP7, CMA
3.6.0.603 , VSE8.0SP13 & CMA3.5.5.438. Just wanted to know if we can disable add-in outlook scan thro ePO? If you you did it in your environment, how it is done?

Highlighted
eric-t
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 18 of 18

Delete registry key
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions\Outlook Scan
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community