Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjo98
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

One ODS policy that works for always on desktops & rarely on laptops

Hi guys.  I'm perplexed, so looking for some advice.

I want to set one ODS policy for both my (always powered on) desktops and my (only on when they need them) laptops.  I can't set the scan to run early in the morning because the laptops will never be on, although I could have it run missed task, but then the machine will be bogged down by VSE running in the background when they're trying to use it.  I'm afraid to do the defer when on battery because i may never get a complete scan in.

Has anyone found a solution, or something that seems to work fairly well, to have one policy with settings that work for both?

6 Replies

Re: One ODS policy that works for always on desktops & rarely on laptops

First, you need to make sure you are on VSE 8.8. Its performance with On Demand Scans is 5X better (yes, we benchmarked it) and you can configure it to run at Below Normal or Low priority. That should be sufficient to perform ODS even if your users are avid gamers (I am and I benchmarked that, too).

Next, you have discovered the "Run Missed Task". That's part of the strategy. The other part is to always put a delay with that. I usually pick 10 minutes.

That should be more than sufficient. If you are concerned about user experience then run a small experiment and schedule some random (to them, not you) ODS tasks for some end users. Then ask them if they know when it happens. If you've performed the test with some blind controls in place almost no one will be able to figure it out.

Moved this to VSE for better attention.

rjo98
Level 7
Message 4 of 7

Thanks guys for the reply, and the relocation.  A lot of my users complain now when their machine simply does a DAT update during the day, so I know they would notice an ODS.

If they notice a DAT update then you should really upgrade to VSE 8.8. It is almsot 2 years old and massively upgrades performance. In fact that was the only reason it exists.

rjo98
Level 7
Message 6 of 7

We are on VSE 8.8 patch 2.  But the machines are single core processors.  So when the DAT is updating, it takes up the lions share of the proc for up to 5 minutes during the update, which you could imagine what that does to usability during those 5 minutes with only 1 core.

but you are right though, 8.8 is less processor intensive then previous versions.

Message was edited by: rjo98 on 4/22/13 7:50:21 AM CDT
pierce
Level 13
Message 7 of 7

Having similar issues with VSE 8.8P2 with a whole host of systems and processors. But not as many with the ODS, we have it set to run at 12:30 (lunch time) so the users put up with a slow afternoon and then run missed tasks for the systems that are offline.

We have the disable if on battery + presentation, but we set the max disable time to only 2 hours. So they get some room to breath but then the scan will get them

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community