cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Demand Scan: Stop calculating estimate

Hi!

At the moment I'm testing VSE 8.7i and ePO 4.0.
Can I somehow turn off the calculating estimate in an on-demand-scan-task?

Thanks in advance!
Greetings,
Vespa
8 Replies
tonyb99
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

RE: On Demand Scan: Stop calculating estimate

you just click the button the words are on and it stops calculating, same as it was in vse 8.5

Yes, I know wink but I doubt that my users ever open the progress window. And it seems like the calculating costs a lot of time. No chance turning it off by default?
tonyb99
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 9

you mean you are kicking off scans of pcs from the server tasks or remote console I guess..

tbh ive never noticed a difference, I didnt think that the calculating estimate came into it on task related scans (the timings shown in the logs never suggested it was running) I know that when i remote console and run the scan task manually from the remote machines console this is an issue though, and you have to click the button again.

I assume you have tried this via an epo scheduled task and the option is still there then?

Yes, it's an ePO-scheduled Task.
But maybe it only starts to estimate if I open the progress window while the task is running...

I'll have to test that one.

It gets quite confusing... my test results:
(Always the same machine with the same ePo-scheduled task)

1. scan running silent, without opening the progress window
=> 4:30 to 5:00 hours
2. with opened progress window and stopped calculating estimate
=> about 3:45 hours
3. with opened progress window and calculating estimate
=> 1:40 to 1:50 hours :confused:

Any suggestions?

wow, that's a pretty large time difference. gotta say im suspect that something else is going on here without your knowledge.

if i get a chance, ill try to do some tests later today myself

Still waiting for solution...

Did someone find any solution to this..?

I am looking for it too.

Thanks

Wouldn't disable it.

Yes, you can turn it off, but via a switch on the scan32.exe. Add \noestimate to the scan32.exe to skip that. However, I don't recommend it since during the estimating, it's building a baseline of so you don't go over your CPU utilization that you assigned to it. You skip this, you might go over the assigned CPU utilization that was set for it.