cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

On-Demand/On-Access Scanning - Why would it cause a delay in attaching files?

Jump to solution

On-Demand/On-Access Scanning - Why would it cause a delay in attaching files to an email?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pwolfe
Level 9
Message 4 of 13

Re: On-Demand/On-Access Scanning - Why would it cause a delay in attaching files?

Jump to solution

A bit more info would help

VSE Version. If 8.7 or older are you using the AntiSpyware module?

Operating System - SP level

Hardware (CPU / Memory)

Email Client

Is the file local or network? if network, MAD (Microsoft Active Directory)  or Edir (Novell)?

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 13

Re: On-Demand/On-Access Scanning - Why would it cause a delay in attaching files?

Jump to solution

Depends on the file being attached.

If it's a large file then obviously there will be a delay. If it's a zip file containing many files then each file is extracted and scanned individually. If it's an Excel 2007/2010 file then don't forget that these are zip files in disguise so the same will apply.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

The delay is 2-5 minutes and it doesn't matter which type of file is being attached I even have uninstalled ZipMail for Lotus Notes to prevent any issues with this software.

pwolfe
Level 9
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

A bit more info would help

VSE Version. If 8.7 or older are you using the AntiSpyware module?

Operating System - SP level

Hardware (CPU / Memory)

Email Client

Is the file local or network? if network, MAD (Microsoft Active Directory)  or Edir (Novell)?

View solution in original post

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

Here you go:

McAfee Enterprise 8.7

Antispyware 8.7

Windows XP SP3

Files are all local to the machine.

Lenovo and HP Business Laptops

pwolfe
Level 9
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks for the Info....I will do some testing.....

I see that you stated it was Lotus Notes, I am not familiar with how Lotus Notes works. However I do belive it can be setup as a Standalone Email Client or setup as a Client  Server using Lotus Domino Server.

Do you know which way it is? Client Server, or Standalone?

what Patch Level is 8.7 at?

Have you uninstalled McAfee to confirm that it is the issue?

Also...

I updated to 8.8 (No Service Pack) to rid my systems of slowness with 8.7. 8.8 has some great improvements as long as you stay away from (Release 1)SP1 ....I will be waiting for SP2.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

The installs of Lotus Notes are standalone and the users databases are stored on a Domino Server.

This issue has also been reported by users and their Gmail accounts.

Antispyware Module 8.7.0.129

VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0.570

Yes I have confirmed that by either disabling McAfee McScan Service or by uninstalling On-Demand Scan it resolves the issue.

pwolfe
Level 9
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

Another Question>

Have you tried to do a custom install and not installed the Lotus Notes Addin Module? If so does the problem still exist?

I know this is not a solution yet another step in determining what portion of mcafee is mis-behaving.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

The Lotus Notes Add-in is not installed be default.

Another side note from an Adobe Forum was to delete the registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\ShellEx\ColumnHandlers\{F9DB5320-233E-11D1-9F84-707F02C10627}]@="PDF Column Info"

This is only a temporay fix since reinstalling adobe re-inserts the key and this doesn't explain why disabling the McAfee Service or uninstalling On-Demand fixes the issue.

pwolfe
Level 9
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

As it seems you have pointed to adobe / lotus / mcafee being an issue....

for myself - I have seen the Adobe PDF Helper for Internet Explorer causing issues for us when our favorites where located on a network drive - 2-3 minutes to load. I found a fix for that, (I dont quite remember what it was)

What is interesting is from what you have said -

1. If you disable Mcafee it works Fine.

2. If you disable Adobe using the reg key above - and leave McAfee Running it works fine. - (Can you confirm this)

Here is a link to an Adobe Forum Post...... In regards to Slow attachments in emails. I know that it may be all attachments but the PDF shell helper could be the part of the problem.

The following link has multiple Ideas, a bit redundant maybe but different ways to disable the PDFShell DLL

This is probably the same link you found.....

Very slow attachment of PDF file to e-mail

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3709308

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community