Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ankedia
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 15

Re: On Access Scanner disabled and greyed Out

I unchecked "prevent mcafee services from being stopped" option and tried to start McShield but it's giving error "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" and McShield service is not starting up. I'm also giving up and going to reimage my machine. Thanks for all the responses.

alexn
Level 14
Message 12 of 15

It would be great source of info if we troubleshoot this issue.

Could you stop HIPS services and try restarting Mcshield?Regds.

sbagchi
Level 7
Message 13 of 15

I am running VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.8 on Windows 7 Enterprise. I had a similar (but not identical) problem - From my VirusScan console, I would see that "On-Access Scanner" would be disabled. On right clicking, "Enable" was not greyed out. But when I would select it, this would have no effect, and On-Access Scanner would remain disabled.

So taking a cue from alexn's suggestions, here is what I did and this fixed the problem.

1. From VirusScan Console -> Access Protection -> Properties, I unchecked "Prevent McAfee Services from being stopped". I did this with trepidation and with a firm mind to check it at the earliest possibility.
  2. Then I started up "services.msc" - on Windows 7, I searched in the box from the Windows icon (bottom left) called "Search for programs and folders".
  3. In the resulting window with all services, I scrolled down to "McAfee McShield" with the description "McAfee OnAccess Scanner". I first stopped it - right click and select "Stop".
  4. Then I restarted that service.
  5. Now when I returned to VirusScan Console, I saw that On-Access Scanner was enabled. I promptly checked the box "Prevent McAfee Services from being stopped".

So much for that. This does not make me feel good about my McAfee product - that it can be stopped under the radar.

cymerc
Level 7
Message 14 of 15

Thank you sbagchi for sharing. We have similar issue in the office with users would not pass our host checker to get through VPN .  The sympthoms are On Access Scanner disabled and greyed out.  2nd Update Virus on the McAfee agent is greyed out.  I will follow the steps your recommend and i hope this problem will not occur again on the machine .

Hi,

When VSE and HIPS are installed on the same endpoint (computer) HIPS takes the role of access protection. So access protection will be turned off on the VSE console. On-access scanning should be enabled and running. You may test with an EICAR to verify. If need be you may place HIPS into LOGGING Mode. Once HIPS is in LOGGING Mode you will be able to enter the VSE console with all options available.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community