cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nt-alex
Level 7

On-Access Scanner disabled after VSE 8.8 Patch 9

Hi,

I have the problem, that the On-Access Scanner is disabled after the installation of Patch 9 (OS Windows 7 x64 Professional).

I already found out from here that the cause of the problem can be found in the On-Access Scanner Properties under General Settings -> Tab General -> "Enable on-access scanning at system startup". It's enabled with Patch 8 an not enabled anymore after Patch 9 is installed. This change refers to the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\McAfee\SystemCore\VSCore\On Access Scanner\McShield\Configuration where the Value of the DWORD "bStartDisabled" changes from 0 to 1.

If I manually enable the On-Access Scanning at system startup in the VirusScan Console it is enabled as before and stays enabled after reboot (what doesn't work if I only enable the On-Access Scanner).

First Question: Why is this setting changed through Patch 9?

Second Question: Is there a possibility to change the setting back automatically e.g. through software depolyment? Only way that came to my mind would be an AutoIt Script that unlocks the user interface, changes the setting and locks the interface again. That's kind of inconvenient. Of course the registry key "bStartDisabled" is locked and can't be changed. Any Ideas?

Regards,

Alex

2 Replies
tao
Level 13

Re: On-Access Scanner disabled after VSE 8.8 Patch 9

What happens if you re-apply the policy / General tab (you may need to recreate the Policy and apply the NEW one):

Enable on-access scanning at system startup

Enable on-access scanning when the policy is enforced

First Question: Not really sure what happened there, sounds kinda strange. Wondering if you are dealing with a corrupt policy.  In the system tree you can add OAS Enabled as a column to get a better idea of how many systems have been impacted by this.

As for the Second Question; 1) you could re-install VSE88P9 through the ePO console with the following command line REINSTALLMODE=amus /q or 2) create a SFX with the registry changes and EEDK it

0 Kudos
nt-alex
Level 7

Re: On-Access Scanner disabled after VSE 8.8 Patch 9

I don't use the ePO, so a corrupt policy can't cause the problem.

0 Kudos