Did you mean: 
Highlighted
qgudex
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

On-Access Scan Exclusion for "Windows File Protection" Missing in VirusScan 8.8

Jump to solution

I'm currently evaluating VirusScan 8.8 w' Patch 1 for deployment in our environment.  One thing I noticed is that I can no longer make an on-access scan exclusion for "Windows File Protection".  Anyone know why this is?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Re: On-Access Scan Exclusion for "Windows File Protection" Missing in VirusScan 8.8

Jump to solution

qgudex wrote:

wwarren, thanks for the info.  Out of curosity, what makes the exception "no longer necessary"?  Is it something with the scan engine, etc. or maybe something on the Windows OS side (maybe 8.8 only supports OS's where the exclusion isn't necessary)?  I just wonder because, a few years ago, it seemed to be a very important, recommended exclusion and now it's gone.

Thanks again.

The purpose of the setting was to avoid scanning certain files that could be considered safe. And a better mechanism is in place now (handled by the DAT files themselves), making the option redundant.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
9 Replies

Re: On-Access Scan Exclusion for "Windows File Protection" Missing in VirusScan 8.8

Jump to solution

Forget about using version 8.8. It is full of bugs and flaws.

I have a similar issue were the progress bar is missing during the scans.

I would recommend sticking to version 8.7i.

Anyways, whats the rush? Why are people in a rush to deploy 8.8? I dont get it.

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

anvin0001 wrote:

Forget about using version 8.8. It is full of bugs and flaws.

I have a similar issue were the progress bar is missing during the scans.

I would recommend sticking to version 8.7i.

Anyways, whats the rush? Why are people in a rush to deploy 8.8? I dont get it.

Did you have some particular issues in mind you wanted to call attention to?

Jump to solution

As a matter I do.

There is no reason to update to 8.8 as it has flaws. It is not stable, and I many people and admins are complaning about it.

There is no rush to update.

Version 8.8 has flaws. Period.

Message was edited by: anvin0001 on 12/7/11 11:20:24 PM CST
bakerrl
Level 11
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Doing a quick search on Google I don't see a lot of people complaining about VSE v8.8

All software have flaws.  It is the nature of the beast.  For the most part they play nice together.

Saying it is not stable or has flaws without providing specific details does not give McAfee much to go on in providing a solution to your concerns.

By providing specifics not only does it help them to address your issue it also lets other people know abou the details as well.

Brentil did a pretty good writeup of his testing of VSE 8.8 which is below for your reference.

VSE 8.8i Performance Tests & Results

https://community.mcafee.com/message/172964#172964

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

qgudex wrote:

I'm currently evaluating VirusScan 8.8 w' Patch 1 for deployment in our environment.  One thing I noticed is that I can no longer make an on-access scan exclusion for "Windows File Protection".  Anyone know why this is?

Yes. The exclusion is no longer necessary, and not advisable.

qgudex
Level 7
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

wwarren, thanks for the info.  Out of curosity, what makes the exception "no longer necessary"?  Is it something with the scan engine, etc. or maybe something on the Windows OS side (maybe 8.8 only supports OS's where the exclusion isn't necessary)?  I just wonder because, a few years ago, it seemed to be a very important, recommended exclusion and now it's gone.

Thanks again.

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

qgudex wrote:

Thanks again.

The purpose of the setting was to avoid scanning certain files that could be considered safe. And a better mechanism is in place now (handled by the DAT files themselves), making the option redundant.

qgudex
Level 7
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Got it, thanks for the help.

Jump to solution

I have not read every post here but I have 8.8 deployed to 70K systems no issues. Other than the threads issue that is fixed with patch 1.  VSE 8.8 is different as Mcafee has a white list of Microsoft files that do not get scanned. All ofthem are protected by Microsoft so they do not nee dto be scanned because you cannot access them. That is why Windows File protection Mode" is missing. 

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community