cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Need a standalone that works with Windows 2000 Server

Jump to solution
All I am needing is a standalone that installs on Windows 2000 server. This houses our Intranet site and we do not have the resources available to upgrade the server. Need some help.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 6

Re: Need a standalone that works with Windows 2000 Server

Jump to solution

User68518159 said:

"All I am needing is a standalone that installs on Windows 2000 server. This houses our Intranet site and we do not have the resources available to upgrade the server. Need some help."

Venu said:

"@ User68518159 VSE 8.8 but Patch 4 would be the only stable product on Windows 2000, so the best way is to call McAfee and explain them the necessity and may be you are lucky enough to get it as Windows 2000 is a legacy product and neither Microsoft nor McAfee supports this."

VSE v8.8 Patch 4 Release Notes state:

VSE v8.8 Patch 4 Repost installs

• Scan Engine: 5600
• Detection Definitions (DAT): 7000+
• McAfee Agent:
   ◦ 4.8.0.887

VSCore 15.1 This version of VSCore allows VirusScan Enterprise to install on systems with expired
certificates.
VSCAN.BOF 659

Here is the problem:

Windows 2000 (Workstation and Server):

Todays DAT files require a newer engine to operate. Additionally, that may require a newer Agent than Windows 2000 can work with. Even if you can get the Agent updated, the Engine will still be limited to older versions no longer useful with todays DAT signatures.

Even if you can Install VSE P4, DATs will be limited to v7145 without updating the Engine. (Todays DAT is v9222.) To get the updated Engine, you will need an updated Agent, which I believe is not available Windows 2000 Server.

Consequently, you will end up with an outdated engine and out of date DAT signature files, meaning you are pretty much unprotected on Windows 2000 Server.

Even KB51111 does not even mention Windows 2000. The earliest Windows Server version mentioned:

9Windows Server 2003 reached EOS and EOL for VSE, on December 31, 2015. VSE 8.8 Patch 7 and earlier install and run on Windows Server 2003, but it is not supported by VSE. Upgrade your server to a supported version of Windows as soon as possible, see KB81563.

Clearly, if you do not have resources to upgrade the server, you certainly do not have the resources to expose a web server, unprotected. Certainly, the cost of a breach would be excessive and in my humble opinion, this exposure is not worth the risk.

Surely, this is not the answer you would like.

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Reliable Contributor vnaidu
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

@User68518159  VSE 8.8 but Patch 4 would be the only stable product on Windows 2000, so the best way is to call McAfee and explain them the necessity and may be you are lucky enough to get it as Windows 2000 is a legacy product and neither Microsoft nor McAfee supports this.

All the best.

Venu
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

User68518159 said:

"All I am needing is a standalone that installs on Windows 2000 server. This houses our Intranet site and we do not have the resources available to upgrade the server. Need some help."

Venu said:

@User68518159: VSE 8.8 but Patch 4 would be the only stable product on Windows 2000, so the best way is to call McAfee and explain them the necessity and may be you are lucky enough to get it as Windows 2000 is a legacy product and neither Microsoft nor McAfee supports this."

Patch 4 Release Notes state:

• McAfee Agent:
   ◦ 4.8.0.887

VSCore 15.1 This version of VSCore allows VirusScan Enterprise to install on systems with expired
certificates.
VSCAN.BOF 659

Here is the problem:

Todays DAT files require a newer engine to operate. Additionally, that may require a newer Agent than Windows 2000 can work with. Even if you can get the Agent updated, the Engine will still be limited to older versions no longer useful with todays DAT signatures.

Even if you can Install VSE P4, DATs will be limited to v7145 without updating the Engine. (Todays DAT is v9222.) To get the updated Engine, you will need an updated Agent, which I believe is not available Windows 2000 Server.

Consequently, you will end up with an outdated engine and out of date DAT signature files, meaning you are pretty much unprotected on Windows 2000 Server.

Even KB51111 does not even mention Windows 2000. The earliest Windows Server version mentioned:

9Windows Server 2003 reached EOS and EOL for VSE, on December 31, 2015. VSE 8.8 Patch 7 and earlier install and run on Windows Server 2003, but it is not supported by VSE. Upgrade your server to a supported version of Windows as soon as possible, see KB81563.

Clearly, if you do not have resources to upgrade the server, you certainly do not have the resources to expose a web server, unprotected. Certainly, the cost of a breach would be excessive and in my humble opinion, this exposure is not worth the risk.

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

User68518159 said:

Venu said:

"@User68518159  VSE 8.8 but Patch 4 would be the only stable product on Windows 2000, so the best way is to call McAfee and explain them the necessity and may be you are lucky enough to get it as Windows 2000 is a legacy product and neither Microsoft nor McAfee supports this."

Patch 4 Release Notes state:

• McAfee Agent:
   ◦ 4.8.0.887

certificates.
VSCAN.BOF 659

Here is the problem:

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

User68518159 said:

Venu said:

"@ User68518159 VSE 8.8 but Patch 4 would be the only stable product on Windows 2000, so the best way is to call McAfee and explain them the necessity and may be you are lucky enough to get it as Windows 2000 is a legacy product and neither Microsoft nor McAfee supports this."

VSE v8.8 Patch 4 Release Notes state:

• McAfee Agent:
   ◦ 4.8.0.887

certificates.
VSCAN.BOF 659

Here is the problem:

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?

View solution in original post

McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

@rmetzger Kudos. You hit the nail on the head!

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community