cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pinard
Level 7

Multiple scan64.exe processe in taskmanager

We have upgraded from VSE87 to 88 and then to VSE88 patch 1. We manage them trought ePO4.5. 

We have found computer which have multiple scan64.exe process running that are not using any CPU but are just consuming RAM. At first , we tought it was a misconfigured ePO scanning task but we have found with  process explorer that it could be related to an installation that as not been completed sucessfuly since every process is launch with /UninstallMAS.

task_manager_scan64.png

process_monitor_scan64.png

Any Idea what might cause this issue and how to solve it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sbenedix
Level 10

Re: Multiple scan64.exe processe in taskmanager

Well, I have seen the following scenario:

- 3rd party application (hMail) configured to utilise scan64 to scan objects,every time a mail popped in, this spawned a process

You can cross reference your agent log (agent_machinename.log) with the windows event log to see if there is correlation between start of the scan64 process and a task being run by the McAfee Agent. If not then something else invokes the process (3rd Party most likely). 

0 Kudos
Pinard
Level 7

Thank's for your reply sbenedix

I have take a look at the agent log and the Windows event log. I have found nothing near the process stard time I have found using process explorer. I am preaty sure it is not an agent planned task. Maybe a 3rd party but if so, why would it use  /UninstallMAS switch since it is used to remove anti- spyware module?

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=kb50602

For me, it still look like someting went wrong with the upgrade to patch1

0 Kudos
boschind
Level 9

i'm starting noticing this on some of our machines (win2008r2 servers) the only "way" to "clean up" is reboot. this "issue" tend to be a memory leak problem.

0 Kudos