cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimal Local Repository to only update Virus signatures

G'day,

We manage a non-internet connected network running VirusScan Enterprise 8.8. We do not have/use ePO.  We are setting up a local repository, but don't want to download 1GB a day (complete mirror of the repository) to keep it up to date for a number of reasons I won't go into.

We do *NOT* update anything other than what would normally be updated by downloaded a DAT file (e.g. 9064xdat.exe

What would be the minimum file list to update? (e.g. are there subdirectories in /current that would not need to be updated) Once we have set up the full repository, can we just download DAT Package For Use with McAfee ePO

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Scott

3 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Minimal Local Repository to only update Virus signatures

Hi @ScottMarshall

Are you using ePO in your enviornment generally? If so, then you may find this article regarding mirror tasks interesting and helpful: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB84118

The DAT updates which are located on the website can also be used but they wouldn't use the regular update task inbuilt in VSE to update the content. These are executables which would need to be run on the system itself which would mean a lot of work for you.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

G'day,

Not we don't use ePO. We are happy to download the DAT EPO file daily and manually run it to update the repository & then have the normal update task on each laptop update the virus definitions. I just wanted to check that "DAT Package For Use with McAfee ePO " would keep the repository up to date rather than having to download the entire repository each day from ftp.nai.com/commonupdater

Currently, staff are having to run the non EPO DAT version on every laptop.

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

DAT Package For Use with McAfee ePO can only be used if checked into ePO.

You would need to download the standalone package daily i.e. 9067xdat.exe

To automise this somewhat you could attempt the following setup:

1. Download the ****xdat.exe (where **** is the DAT version) from the McAfee website and place it on the shared repository location

2. Rename it to (e.g.) todaysDAT.exe

3. Setup a scheduled task on each system to run todaysDAT.exe from the shared location

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.