Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

McShield.exe is using around 50% of the CPU Utilization on the terminal

McShield.exe is using around 50% of the CPU Utilization on the terminal

server,

6 Replies

Re: McShield.exe is using around 50% of the CPU Utilization on the terminal

At first I would say that something has gone wrong and the process is infact eating up 100% of one core. Check the task manager. If that's so I would guess something is corrupt with McShield.exe especially if the error returns.

Try to kill the process and restart it.

Highlighted

The two things that I found are:  setting under Windows System Performance the setting from Programs to Cache eliminates the WINLOGIN.EXE issue - it's now cached so when it's called, no disk read is done.  I then found that running MC Virtual Technician fixes the MCSHIELD performance problem on my XP system but it reappears the next time an update is done (I have auto-update disabled).  So in my case, it looks like the updater is the cause to whatever the MCSHIELD performance problem is.

Highlighted
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 7

Which exact version and patch level do you have installed? You can see that if you rightclick the mcafee icon in the notification area and select the last option.

Highlighted

I looked and the last option is Help.  If you are asking for revisions: Sec Center 11.6 and Virus Scan 15.6.  It's a brand new installation.  The stores (Staples and Office Max) didn't have the 3 user Anti-Virus Plus 2013 licenses boxed, so I bought a 3 user license as a download from Office Max.

Highlighted
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 7

Oh that is the consumer version of the product, not the Enterprise one. I don't really know those products, sorry.

Highlighted

Update: Yesterday, changing the Windows XP setting from Programs to System Cache eliminated the WINLOGIN.EXE CPU bandwidth problem, but the MCSHIELD CPU bandwidth problem was still there.  MC Virtual Tech would fix the MCSHIELD performance problem, but the updater would just put the problem back after an update.  However, after a manual update this morning, the MCSHIELD CPU performance problem was also gone and I am running 98% idle.  I checked the Consumer AV product rev numbers and they are still at 11.6 for Security Center and 15.6 for Virus Scan.  Hopefully the good performance will last past the next update. :^)  My VISTA machine running dual cores didn't see any of this, so this is a single core/thread issue. Dual cores don't seem to see it.  Time will tell. :^)

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community