cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee antivirus Enterprise 8.8 configuration

Hi,

I have installed McAfee AVE 8.8 in a workstation. This workstation has two NICs so that it is placed between 2 networks (Internal and the Internet). Both networks have different IP addresses.

Now I cannot figure out how to configure the McAfee antivirus so that the internal network will have an internet access. Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks in advance!!

QQQ.png

7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: McAfee antivirus Enterprise 8.8 configuration

Moved to VSE

---

Peter

wwarren
Level 15
Message 3 of 8

Now I cannot figure out how to configure the McAfee antivirus so that the internal network will have an internet access

Are you suggesting that VirusScan is preventing you from having internet access?

Or, are you saying VirusScan should act as a router between the two networks?

Or something else?

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Yes I am looking a way on how the VirusScan can act as a router between the two networks.

The idea is that any traffic coming into the internal network must be scanned and then if OK, forwarded.

wwarren
Level 15
Message 5 of 8

Sorry that is not functionality that exists in VirusScan Enterprise.

Think of VSE as a product aimed at protecting the endpoint, not a firewall or router or other inline scanner of network traffic.

Ok. So I can't  use VirusScan as a routing tool. But I think it can be configured to scan while traffic is going in or going out of the internal network. But may be the routing of traffic could be solved by bridging the two NIC cards?

wwarren
Level 15
Message 7 of 8

Unfortunately not.

VSE is not an inline scanner for through-traffic. You'd be looking for some kind of appliance that can do that; I'm sure we  have one... I'm not sure what we call our Intrushield product nowadays but that sounds like the technology you're after.

VSE is a file scanner. It serves you if you have a file that is being written to local disk, and read. We'll scan it.

If a file is not being written to disk, or not already on disk prior to be read, VSE is not going to scan a thing because it didn't see anything to scan. There is one exception to that, which is our ScriptScan feature - it loads inProcess and causes scripts to be scanned prior to their execution by the process that loaded us; it'll scan scripts whether on disk or that only reside in memory.

These are very difficult use cases to what you're trying to solve.

Thanks wwarren for your detailed explanation.

I will see what options I will have based on your comments.

Thanks again!!