cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

McAfee VSE 8.8 P3 reported a Buffer Overflow / Should I reformat my HDD?

Hi,

I just had a McAfee block a Buffer Overflow from a website and I need your opinions whehter I should reimage my OS?

How can I be sure if this had been removed or blocked?

I assume, if it was blocked, then I shouldnt be worried? Correct?   

Ok....I managed to restore my fresh clean image of my Windows OS just to be on the safe side.

But if McAfee reports it as being BLOCKED, then I should of been safe from this?

Thanks.

3/3/2013 2:15:57 PM Blocked by Buffer Overflow Protection   C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe:NTDLL.KiUserExceptionDispatcher::6b40000 BO:Writable BO:Heap

Message was edited by: mcuser999 on 3/3/13 7:32:09 AM CST

Message was edited by: mcuser999 on 3/3/13 8:20:40 AM CST
2 Replies

Re: McAfee VSE 8.8 P3 reported a Buffer Overflow / Should I reformat my HDD?

Treat is like any other infection. Here are a couple of ideas:

1. Perform a full ODS of Memory for Rootkits, Running Processes and All Files. Be sure you set GTI (on the Performance tab) to Very High

2. Run GetSusp (search the KB to find it). It will give you a list of suspicious files. Don't delete them since some of them will be false. But now you'll have a list of files that you can submit

3. If you still come up blank, remove the drive from the PC, mount it in a SATA case, plug it into another computer and perform #1 on a different computer's OS.

Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: McAfee VSE 8.8 P3 reported a Buffer Overflow / Should I reformat my HDD?

We have seen the same blocked BO attacks since 02/28/14  though at a slightly different location:

C:\Program FIles\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe:NTDLL.kiUserExceptionDispatcher::8ba0068

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe:NTDLL.kiUserExceptionDispatcher::7990068

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community