Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdinze
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

McAfee Task Manager Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About two weeks ago i had Epo 3.6 push out VS 8.5i (with patch 1) to about 1500 machines running windows xp. We also have on these machines, loaded Tumbleweed Desktop Validator which enables digital certificate checking.

Now since the push to 8.5i i have had a small handfull of machines fail to run the Tumbleweed Desktop Validator service on start up or reboot. This causes failed crudential checks and users not being able to log on untill the service is started. Since the last thing we pushed out was the 8.5i i started my trouble shooting with the McAfee services and narrowed it down to the McAfee Task Manager service.

If i stop that service and reboot the machine the tumblweed service starts fine. As a workaround i can start the tumbleweed service remotley after the machine has started up. But there has to be a way to get around this. It's only happening to 4 or 5 machines now but it seems like a new one pops up every day. I don't think it would be a policy because i have my machine and about 800 others in the same group and it doesn't affect them all.

So my question is, why would MTM service prevent the Tumbleweed service from starting on these few machines?

Thanks

jdinze
6 Replies
Grif
Level 10
Message 2 of 7

RE: McAfee Task Manager Service

And does updating to the most current Patch #4 help the problem?

Hope this helps.

Grif
jdinze
Level 7
Message 3 of 7

We did end up trying a newer tumbleweed version. that seemed to fix the problem. I am also going to look into the latest patch as well.

Thanks.

-j
jdinze
Level 7
Message 4 of 7

the latest patch did not fix the issue. i guess i will have to go with updating the tumbleweed program instead. I'm not sure what is causing the issue. I don't know if TW and MTM are competing during startup and MTM wins out or that they are not compatible. It seems to be happening only on older machines imaged in 2004 or earlier.

thanks

-jdinze

was there a fix?

Did you ever find a fix for this issue? We are having the same problem with some of our machines. Thanks
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 6 of 7

RE: was there a fix?

The only thing that immed springs to mind is that the basic install of VSE may have different policies to your epo policies.
So perhaps tumbleweed is blocked under the basic package but when they then update with the latest access protection policies from EPO it is allowed again.

just an idea

what does the access protection policy log say on the machines it work on?
jdinze
Level 7
Message 7 of 7

RE: was there a fix?

I pushed out the newer version of tumbleweed via startup script. everything seems to be running smoothly.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community