Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kink80
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

McAfee DAT updates causing disk latency issues on VMWare servers

We are seeing an issue where our VMWare servers running VirusScan 8.8 P4 on Windows Server 2012R2 and our VMWare servers running VirusScan 8.8P2  on Windows Server 2008R2 started giving us disk latency errors when they were running our daily DAT updates. This all started about a month ago at the beginning of September and has persisted. Prior to this we were running the same versions of McAfee and did not experience any issues while running the DAT updates. Is there something that may have changed recently in the way McAfee DAT updates are performed?

4 Replies

Re: McAfee DAT updates causing disk latency issues on VMWare servers

Are you using the new 5800 scan engine that was released to web last month?  If not, you may want to try it.  I haven't noticed any change in performance related to DAT updates, but I'm running the 5800 engine in my environment.  Maybe it handles newer DAT's more efficiently.

McAfee KnowledgeBase - FAQs for Anti-Virus Scanning Engine 5.x.00

georgec
Level 13
Message 3 of 5

Have a look at McAfee MOVE. It was designed specifically for virtual environments to prevent such problems among others.

http://www.mcafee.com/hk/resources/data-sheets/ds-move-anti-virus.pdf

George

kink80
Level 12
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the replies. We are still running the 5700 scan engine so maybe the 5800 engine would have some improvements. It just seems weird that we started seeing these issues all of a sudden when no changes had taken place on our end so it just made me wonder if the changes to the DAT reputation may have had some part in this. I have heard of MOVE but never really looked into it but may have to.

Highlighted

hi kink80

what error are you getting? would you please show us the disk latency errors and what is the client update task setting , is it daily? or run immediately ?

if it is daily is it once a day or multiple times?

best regards

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community