cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Agent 4.0.0.1444 causes a reboot

Hi,

I'm getting reports of machines which are being prompted for a reboot then boot looping. At first I thought it was HIPS as that's being rolled out but now I'm thinking it might be machines which are upgrading from McAfee Agent 4.0.0.1421 to 4.0.0.1444 as the machine with the issues are not set to install HIPS.

Anyone seen this happen?

Regards
10 Replies
akl71
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 11

RE: McAfee Agent 4.0.0.1444 causes a reboot

We have over 600 machines with McAfee Agent 4.0.0.1444 and no problems so far.

huh? happy What agent is this? I thought patch 2 (1421) is the latest?

Patch 2 has a bug in it which causes software deployment to stop working (DATS and Apps). Found this out when almost 5000 machines stopped updating. McAfee Tier 2 support had the patch but you could only get it via them.

I believe it is on the download site now. See KB article KB65594.

Thanks for that.

The McAfee information really is useless sometimes.

When I go to my product downloads page under my grant number the update isn't there, and there is no mention of it.

I just rolled out version 1421 just over 1 week ago!!! As that was the latest version under my grant numbers.

What a load of !@#$!

Why wasn't that latest hotfix or version listed under my grant number.

Thanks for your post, I have found it now!!
Luckily for me 1421 seems to be working just fine in my environment, but still, having just deployed this version, which involved the usual pile of change doccumentation and approvals and emails etc etc, that type of useless nonsense is rather annoying.

Why isn't everything stored in the 1 location!!!!! Why do we have to look through all these different locations to find something we don't even know about!!! That is just ridiculous McAfee
SeaCat
Level 7
Message 6 of 11

Had similar issues when we were test deploying HIPS in our corporate test groups. Boot loops, BSOD, network connectivity loss.. all manner of things. I've deployed 4.0.0.1444 and haven't seen any issues. We did pull the plug on HIPS as we had a 30% failure rate on the machines.
Highlighted

I upgraded from 1421 to 1444 yesterday on 1500 systems, no reports of reboots, but I guess that doesnt always mean they didn't occur happy I don't think we had anyh though.

Turns out the problem was HIPS related. Have been deploying HIPS at system startup to get around the network connectivity loss issue, only on certain cloned images it causes a bootloop! Brilliant!

Anyone else use HIPS or any other firewall product. Seems to be one problem after another at the moment!

Thanks.
SeaCat
Level 7
Message 9 of 11

The disasterous testing we did with HIPS was enough to burn me on it. Not a fan. We even had a couple of McAfee techs help us set up for the testing and deployment but yet we still had problem after problem. I've seen the full gambit of problems, bootloops, BSOD, with 2 laptops HIPS was the straw that pushed them over the edge to complete failure.

I'm very slowly loosing my rag with it! Deployment is a nightmare! Have you tested any other firewall products since you gave up with HIPS?
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community