Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

Manual removal of VSE 8.8 with Patch 6 or Patch 7

HI All

Have looked at the manual removal guide for VSE 8.8 but this states that it is not relevant for VSE 8.8 Patch 6 or Patch 7 with syscore version of 15.3.

Does anyone know if a new guide has been produced yet? We have a couple of servers that can't install / uninstall VSE and I need to attempt to remove it manually.

Any ideas.

Regards

Steve

10 Replies
wwarren
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 11

Re: Manual removal of VSE 8.8 with Patch 6 or Patch 7

There's nothing forthcoming.

Support uses a removal tool now; if needed you can obtain it through Support also.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
boschind
Level 10
Message 3 of 11

i administer an environment with about 970 MCA and 42 of them stated having problem with VSE when upgraded to patch 6 to 7. now they are not reporting to epo 5.1.3.

not able to upgrade to 7 , clean uninstall to attempt to install again.

i opened a ticket to intel support but after some discussion they did not provide me the removal (ripper) tool - don't know exactly why....

i'm tempted to use revo uninstaller to remove VSE but....

wwarren, if i correctly understand you are close or internal to intel security... could you please intercede for us ?

thanks

regards

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 11

We are seeing the exact same behaviour in multiple environments that we are managing. Somehow a certain (around 10%) percentage of the systems has it's software installed in a corrupted way. Reinstalling, repairing, upgrading all doesn't help. We've escalated this to Intel a while ago and eventually been told it would be easier to just reinstall the faulty systems. There was no such thing as a ripper to remove the corrupted parts from the devices and Intel was also not planning on creating one at the time.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 11

It looks like you now have to provide MER reports for each failure as Intel want to investigate the failure issues before releasing the ripper tools.

Also to note the ripper tools provide by Intel are time limited but we have found that using the ripper tool for both VSE and HIPS helps resolving the issue we have experienced.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 11

I've in the process of getting the MER-report while typing this. By the looks of the earlier replies in this thread I figured that apparently Intel eventually did make the Ripper tool they told us they wouldn't make. Let's see if we can get our hands on it this time.

boschind
Level 10
Message 7 of 11

we're in the same situation - i have a ticket opened at intel support - just escalated to tier 2 - i'm waiting for VSE ripper tool too hoping it will solve the problem we have with about 45 installed vse clients vs about 900 that successfully upgraded to vse p7

boschind
Level 10
Message 8 of 11

Nick_db don't give up... proceed giving the support what the ask for and like me 5 min ago you should receive the link where to download the ripper tool (file name VSERemoval104.rar ) - now we are going to try it on some of our problematic clients

boschind
Level 10
Message 9 of 11

more recently i was able to receive from McAfee support a revised version of the tool - now called MFERemoval100

it is a command line utility

mcvoodoo
Level 8
Message 10 of 11

I can second boschild's comment.  Support supplied me with the tool and it cleanly strips off VSE (and other products I understand with the appropriate switches), allowing you to re-install without problem.  Only gotcha is that it appears to expire after a few days, so you can't store it and bring it out of the bag whenever you need it.  You have to log a call each time you need it.

It's so good I don't even bother trying to manually strip off VSE now.  If I have a corrupt install I just log a call, receive the tool a few hours later, and use it to do the uninstall.  If you explain the steps you've tried to remove the product and request the tool in the call, they usually just send you a link to it without further contact.

VC

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community