Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ithador
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

MCUPDATE.DLL / blue screen lockup at start

Hello,

For sometime now I have been locking up at start (windows 7, 64bit) gets to Microsoft logo, but locks prior to rainbow colors meshing. Syas the problem is mcupdate.dll.  "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA ERROR CODE=0X490" I had installed Network Associates Virus program sometime back and uninstalled it. This evidently remained. I am attaching two diagnostic files for review. I have been searching everywhere for the answer to this. I restart computer over and over and eventually I can break through to repair, but it says windows repair CAN'T repair. It takes like 15 minutes everyday to get past this. Please help. I even reinstalled windows, but problem remained.

Thank you.

9 Replies

Re: MCUPDATE.DLL / blue screen lockup at start

Can you recall the name and version number of the McAfee product you had installed and what year?

'Network Associates' hasn't been around for years.

You say you reinstalled Windows, but was that a format and reinstall or simply a repair install?  The latter wouldn't clean anything like that out.

mcupdate can also apply to Windows Media Center updater.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/11/11 12:51:17 EDT PM
ithador
Level 7
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for your response. I am not sure what version, it was about a year ago. I reistalled Windows 7 from CD. There were only two options from CD boot. Repair or install. I installed W7 and it saved my files in a single folder so that after reinstalling I had to open and put personal data back. I did have to reinstall the drivers, email addresses and such, so I am sure it was a full install. You can probably tell I am not that computer literate. Also, there is no mcupdate.dll on my machine when I search for it. A Windows 7 person said it was Network Solutions issue. I do not know. This issue is a problem I have seen on forums, but can't find an answer. The problem did arise only after I installed Network Solution Virus program and then uninstalled.

Do my attached docs provide any additional info? I do not know what I am looking for when reviewing.

I do appreciate sincerely your input. Thank you.

Don't you recall a name or whether or not it was an Enterprise product such as VirusScan Enterprise?  It would help you to know that.   I believe that is the only one that could apply here and there is no removal tool for it at all, only registry removal methods which are long and laborious, assuming the normal method via Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a  Program has not worked.

See: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2371

I see lots of BSOD reports with this same dll on Google.

I took a quick glance at those files but got no clues, but then I'm not a qualified person for those sort of things.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/11/11 1:24:06 EDT PM

Moved provisionally to VirusScan Enterprise as the most likely place to obtain help.

ithador
Level 7
Message 6 of 10

Tried to remove as described through regedit. Can't find no traces now of Network Solutions, mcupdate, etc. I think it is looking tom update but can't find anything. I am brain-numb trying to solve this through my limited knowledge. It just gets super frustrating.

It's Network Associates not Network Solutions...make sure you used the right title.

Also search for McAfee.

ithador
Level 7
Message 8 of 10

Sorry, you are right. Like I said, brain-numb with regards to this. I appreciate your help. Thank you.

I know, I've been through similar.  Hopefully someone with Enterprise experience will be along shortly.

derekc
Level 7
Message 10 of 10

Had exactly the same problem, can't even get into my cd to do repairs. Finally found by removing power source and reconnect it cleared the problem

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community