Highlighted
Gvega
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Looking for advice on port blocking rule violation from Epolicy Orchestrator

Jump to solution

Hello all!

I am looking for advice on how to solve a port blocking rule violation.

I work in an McAfee enterprise environment and we are having an issue with receiving port blocking rule violations on two users who travel frequently.

The Epolicy Orchestrator is relaying messages of port blocking rule violations over port 6666.

The program is telling us that an unidentified program is reaching out over port 6666 to an ip address that we don't even use on our network.

The notification claims it's coming from 192.168.x.x trying to reach out to 172.20.x.x.

The 192.168.x.x is our locally managed wireless address and the 172.20.x.x is not a part of our network environment.

We can't figure out what program could be reaching out and we are responsible for setting up these machines. We feel relatively secure that this is a false positive in terms of being a threat but we can't figure out what is triggering the issue.

If anyone could give me a direction to follow up on I would greatly appreciate it.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 2

Re: Looking for advice on port blocking rule violation from Epolicy Orchestrator

Jump to solution

Hi Gvega,

This post would be better served if posted to the ENS/VSE forums!

The port is interesting as that port is generally used/associated with 'Internet Relay Chat' (IRC). This might your source. However, it is a port used by various 'malware' like:

Examples:
NetBus worm
SubSeven
Trinity
WinSatan
Vampire
TCPshell.c.
Backdoor.IRC.Flood
W32.HLLW.Warpigs

...and many others!

Please ensure your AV solution is up to date and run a full scan of the host, it will be worth checking to see if there is a piece of malware involved in this.

You can run a 'wireshark' trace (or other protocol analyzer) to see if you can uncover what the traffic is.
From a command prompt at the client you could use this command to see what is on that port.

• netnetstat -ano

Then from that list search for the entry associated with the suspect port (port 6666) then review the process list of the device see what the PID relates to.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

1 Reply
McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 2

Re: Looking for advice on port blocking rule violation from Epolicy Orchestrator

Jump to solution

Hi Gvega,

This post would be better served if posted to the ENS/VSE forums!

The port is interesting as that port is generally used/associated with 'Internet Relay Chat' (IRC). This might your source. However, it is a port used by various 'malware' like:

Examples:
NetBus worm
SubSeven
Trinity
WinSatan
Vampire
TCPshell.c.
Backdoor.IRC.Flood
W32.HLLW.Warpigs

...and many others!

Please ensure your AV solution is up to date and run a full scan of the host, it will be worth checking to see if there is a piece of malware involved in this.

You can run a 'wireshark' trace (or other protocol analyzer) to see if you can uncover what the traffic is.
From a command prompt at the client you could use this command to see what is on that port.

• netnetstat -ano

Then from that list search for the entry associated with the suspect port (port 6666) then review the process list of the device see what the PID relates to.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center