cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Laptops CPUs are roaring

Jump to solution

Hello

I am running Windows 10 1903, with VirusScan client version 8.8 with patch 13. Several users when they login to their laptop, whether connected to the network or not, experience the fans on the laptop to begin running very rapidly, and on checking find the CPU usage is 100%, and McAfee Virus Scan the big user. Interestingly, once they start the McAfeeProfiler, the fan slows down and CPU usage goes down. I have put in the On-Access Default Processes Policies Exclusion CompatTelRunner.exe, as well as in the On-Access High Risk and Low Risk Exclusions, yet this continues to be one of the processes running at the time of the McAfee Profiler scan (I tried to attach a Profiler scan, but it would not allow it). Is there something else I can do to stop the McAfee Virus Scan from monopolizing the CPU usage?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 6

Re: Laptops CPUs are roaring

Jump to solution

Create a Service Request with the Technical Support Team, then you can attach the logs to the Service Request.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
5 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

It would be good to investigate this with proper logs. A procmon log (Microsoft Sysinternals) at boot would be a great trace file to provide to our Support Team. This trace along with a MER file will be able to tell us what the scanner is doing at boot and what configuration you have. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Where would I get the MER file? Do I have to download an application for this, or can it be gotten from a Windows system file?

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB59385

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

The attached .files are for a Dell Inspiron 15 7559. I tried to attache the files, but get the following:

• The attachment procmon.zip is too large and has been removed. The maximum file size is: 5,242,880 bytes.
    The file sanitize_0.tgz does not have a valid extension for an attachment and has been removed. jpg,gif,png,csv,ppt,doc,pdf,docx,xls,xlsx,pptx,zip,jar,xml are the valid extensions.
  • Is there some other way to deliver the files?
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Create a Service Request with the Technical Support Team, then you can attach the logs to the Service Request.

Was my reply helpful?
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community