cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
web1b
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Issues Setting Up Virusscan 8.8 for the first time: How to update newly installed clients immediately?

I have set up a new server and I'm evaluating Virusscan on a few clients as a pilot.

The server is successfully set up with EPO 4.6 and so far I have deployed the Mcafee agent and VSE88 to one test client.  The server doesn't have VSE installed yet, only EPO.

The client displays a Windows 7 warning message saying McAfee is out of date and must be updated manually.  I have not tried to update at the client manually because I don't want the users to have to take any action when we are ready to do a wide rollout.  I'm surprised it doesn't do an automatic check for updates after the install completes.  I need a way to lauch a check for updates from the client when they are first installed or deploy an already updated client.

The EPO admin guide says Installation Designer can be used to deploy Virusscan with current DAT updates already installed, but I don't have that product and I can't find a link to download an evaluation version of Installation Designer and it isn't  listed as something available to download and check in from Software Manager..

I cant tell if the ePO server is updated with the latest DAT files saved somewhere ready to distribute.  How can I download the client update files to the EPO server and then distribute those updates files to the new clients?

on 7/5/12 5:01:47 PM CDT
6 Replies
web1b
Level 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Issues Setting Up Virusscan 8.8 for the first time: How to update newly installed clients immediately?

I just logged in to ePO  under a dfferent account and the home screen shows My Repository "Not Available" for both DAT and Engine.

Last check was a few minutes ago and it says (Failed) in red.

Highlighted

Re: Issues Setting Up Virusscan 8.8 for the first time: How to update newly installed clients immediately?

You can manually download and check in the package to master repo with the file listed here.

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx?region=us

web1b
Level 7
Message 4 of 7

Is there a way to use ePO 4.6 to deply the current DAT files with a new Virusscan deployment instead of having it deploy the out of date definitions and then have to wait for the client to update definitions later?

Yes! you can download McAfee Installation Designer and put newest DATs and Engine in the VSE package.You can find it in your customer download area. 

Herman.-

Regis
Level 12
Message 6 of 7

Does that use of installation designer, however, put the "newest at the time" DAT into the package?   Wouldn't you have to create a new package frequently ... or daily... to stay current? 

ePO wise,  is there a way to have the product update task run immediately when Agent checks in the next time after the VSE product install task? 

web1b
Level 7
Message 7 of 7

I am currently evaluating Virusscan and EPO.  I don't see an Installation Designer evaluation version. 

When you purchase Virusscan and EPO, is Installation Designer an included product available for everyone to download or is it an additional product that needs to be purchased?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community