cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it safe to exclude the C:\Windows\Installer folder during our weekly ODS.

Hi,

I just want to know if the exclusion of the folder c:\windows\installer during my ODS once a week is safe or not recommended.

Any suggestion are welcome ?

Thank you.

3 Replies
wwarren
Level 15
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is it safe to exclude the C:\Windows\Installer folder during our weekly ODS.

You would want to adhere to the guideline, "Exclude nothing, unless you have to".

If considering the exclusion, the pertinent data point to share is "Why?" because the theoretical answer is "No, it's not safe to have any exclusion, not even one". But, the reality is, you're juggling risk, how much risk you're prepared to accept vs. "whatever your reason is to consider the exclusion".

Perhaps there is an alternate than to just exclude the whole folder's contents; a way to minimize risk and satisfy your need for the exclusion.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Re: Is it safe to exclude the C:\Windows\Installer folder during our weekly ODS.

To add a note to the 1st response... I would suggest excluding from OAS and leaving un-excluded for ODS, if an exclusion is requested. This way, you eliminate the scanning method that is more likely to cause issue and still keep a level of protection by scanning on a scheduled occurrence.

Thank you guys for your input.