Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pato
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

Intel going to rename Mcafee products to "Intel Security"

Source here: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5282618/intel-phases-out-mcafee-brand-name-distancing-itself-from

I wonder how fast this will happen and if VSE 8.8 P4 will already bring the namechange

8 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Intel going to rename Mcafee products to "Intel Security"

Wait and see I guess.   I can't blame them for wanting to divorce themselves from John McAfee.

Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 9

You know I'm reading several articles about this and I wonder how John McAfee, who invented the software after all, can get away with saying that McAfee is the worst software on the Planet and not be sued.   He also says how glad he is to have his name removed from the product but I think the joy will mostly be felt by Intel.

Highlighted
Jubo
Level 9
Message 4 of 9

WoW! Another icon gone: "Passing the red shield: Intel Security to replace McAfee brand"

http://www.zdnet.com/passing-the-red-shield-intel-security-to-replace-mcafee-brand-7000024869/

Better keep my McAfee t-shirt...

I just hope that my Certificate which hopefully is "in the post" after 4 months, comes with the correct branding........

pato wrote:

Source here: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5282618/intel-phases-out-mcafee-brand-name-dist ancing-itself-from

I wonder how fast this will happen and if VSE 8.8 P4 will already bring the namechange

They said it'll take a year, but the fact is it will take YEARS, and truthfully it will never go away. I know of and use software that has been bought and acquired by multiple large firms and all the URLs and binaries, you name it still bare the name of the first creator company. Why? Because good code can't change just to keep up with marketing.

Honestly, this is a stupid and expensive exercise on behalf of Intel, SO many years after the purchase. Good luck to them, it'll change nothing. People will forever refer to these products as McAfee, especially as Intel has said the red shield WILL remain in branding, simply not the name.

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 9

I think they want to disassociate themselves from John McAfee altogether and I don't blame them.   His ravings of late have been rather bizarre to say the least.

Ex_Brit wrote:

I think they want to disassociate themselves from John McAfee altogether and I don't blame them.   His ravings of late have been rather bizarre to say the least.

That's the theory most are going with, but what an insane effort at such a large cost, for what is effectively a drunk no one is paying attention to for more than 5 mins. He's a wannabe Tony Stark who isn't THAT clever.

All the best to him though. lol

We surely hope and I mean REALLY hope that the software functions do not change all because of the re-branding.

Because we do not want to spend so much time looking for another security software solution. I fear this the most.

But as "customers" or "consumers" we do not have control over what McAfee or Intel has on their hands business wise.

We just have to corss that bridge when we get there.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community