cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Installing any VSE version fails on Windows 2008 R2 after uninstalling older version.

Jump to solution

Installing any VSE version fails on Windows 2008 R2 after uninstalling older version. I have tried several of the fixes listed on line and none have worked. My question is this: I am only dealing with this one system. What if I remove the Agent that gets install when I try to install VSE and use Removal tool to remove McAfee products, if it find any. After I reboot the system I still see many McAfee settings in the Registry. So what if I remove all the McAfee I find in the Registry, reboot the system and try again. Has anyone tried this? Did it make matters worst?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Installing any VSE version fails on Windows 2008 R2 after uninstalling older version.

Jump to solution

This issue was resolved. The problem was that not all the McAfee files were not getting removed when I did ran uninstall tools, especially under Windows/System32. I could not delete them also using my Network Admin account. So I decided to login with a local admin account on the system and ran the uninstall tool and the VSE Cleaner tool. I was then able to delete all those McAfee files that never were removed. . I then  log back in with my network admin account and ran the installation with no problems. Thanks,

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Installing any VSE version fails on Windows 2008 R2 after uninstalling older version.

Jump to solution

After uninstalling VSE, did you reboot the server?  If not, services and drivers will be pending deletion, potentially blocking any future installs due to in-use/locked files. 

Also, if McAfee VSE is managed by ePO policies, then it's a good idea to relax or disable McAfee Access Protection policy rules prior to the uninstall.

Finally, ensure you are a local system administrator on the server when performing the VSE uninstall, reboot, re-install to new version, then reboot. 🙂

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @User63913563,

Thank you for your post. Although removal of all remnants from registry might work for you, I would recommend against that. May I know if you can help us with the install log (when reinstall fails) so that I can look into it for you to determine the issue.

Alternatively if you have difficulties in sanitizing the log file before sending it here, please feel free to create a Service Request with us for us to look into the same.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution
HI,
Review this KB and install the attached Certificates. Then retry the install.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB87096

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

This issue was resolved. The problem was that not all the McAfee files were not getting removed when I did ran uninstall tools, especially under Windows/System32. I could not delete them also using my Network Admin account. So I decided to login with a local admin account on the system and ran the uninstall tool and the VSE Cleaner tool. I was then able to delete all those McAfee files that never were removed. . I then  log back in with my network admin account and ran the installation with no problems. Thanks,

View solution in original post

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @User63913563,

Kudos to you for resolving the issue and also Thank you for updating us on what resolved the issue.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community