cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
powe
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Installation stalls at 'Finding file C:\Program Files\ ... \SystemCore\vtpinfo.exe'

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade VSE from p9 to p12, but during the custom action "LoadMcafeeCerts()" the installations hangs on ">> Finding file 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\vtpinfo.exe'". The system I'm working in uses an installation script which first removes the old VSE installation and then installs the new one, so the file being run is setupvse.exe.

I've looked at https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB87096 but all the required CAs are already on the machine. I'm afraid i can't attach a full log since It's on a closed down system (i.e. no internet connection and no way to export from the system).

=> enter custom action LoadMcafeeCerts()
>> Platform is 64-bit
>> Success: INSTALLDIR is C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\
>> Success: SUPPORTDIR is C:\Windows\Temp\{CE15D1B6-19B6-4D4D-8F43-CF5D2C3356FF}
>> Found SysCore directory 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\SystemCore'
>> Finding file 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\vtpinfo.exe

That's the last entry in the log, after this the installation just hangs indefinetly.

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 10

Re: Installation stalls at 'Finding file C:\Program Files\ ... \SystemCore\vtpinfo.exe'

Jump to solution

That'd definitly something that needs to be investigated further by our Technical Support Team. The best thing you can do to get a quick response from support, is to raise an SR via the service portal and attach the following:

* a procmon log from during the installation (see KB89433 for more info on procmon if needed)

* a MER from the client after the installation attempt

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
Darsch
Not applicable
Message 9 of 10

Re: Installation stalls at 'Finding file C:\Program Files\ ... \SystemCore\vtpinfo.exe'

Jump to solution

I had the same issue trying to upgrade McAfee Client Proxy on some machines, the following command seemed to fix it:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\vtpinfo.exe" /resetvtpcache

powe
Not applicable
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

I finally solved it, we are upgrading the epoAgent in the same run, and changing the installation order from 1. epoAgent 2. VSE to the reverse seems to have done the trick. Altough i think this problem was very specefic to the system I'm working in, I'm putting the solution here in case it might work for someone else.

9 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi @powe

What you can do to find the reason for the installation failure is:

1. Open the installation log location and sort files by date and time > you'll want to look at the first installation-log present 

2. Open the first installation related log i.e. VSEInstall.log and scroll to bottom, you will see the installation failure code i.e. “return code: 1603” (all MSI installation error codes are listed here, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa372835(v=vs.85).aspx)

3. If you do see 1603, then scroll back up to the top of the log file and search for “value 3” (the word value may be different pending on log language). The first entry you find shows you point of failure.
    e.:
    !> Error - SysCore install failed: 255
    <= leave custom action Install_SysCore()
    CustomAction Install_SysCore returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    Fin de la acción 12:28:11: InstallExecute. Return value 3.
    MSI (s) (98:70) [12:28:11:908]: Note: 1: 2265 2:  3: -2147287035 >> with these entries “Error - SysCore install failed: 255” and “-2147287035” you can search on the agent portal for errors

4. It may also point you to look at another log file, in which case you can go to the mentioned log file and search for "error" or "fail". Again you can then search for these in agent portal.

We also have a KB which might help you: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB87589

>> These steps are written up for ENS but work similar for VSE.

Which log did you find these errors in?

The certificates are definitly a good thing to check! Which version of MA do you have installed? Does the file "'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\vtpinfo.exe" exist on your machine? 

You mention the installation hangs - do you see the mfehidk.exe still running / using any CPU resources?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
powe
Not applicable
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi and thank you for the reply. 

The last entry in the installation log is the one from the post, there's nothing after it. The message is from the log generated when running setupvse.exe with the /l parameter with a specified path. I also looked in C:\Windows\Temp\McAfeelogs where the latest changed file is FrmInst_<computername>.txt. None of the afformentioned logs have "value 3" or any entries with "SysCore install failed"

I've verified that the vtpinfo.exe path is correct and the file exists. I've tried to run it manually via an elevated cmd with "vtpinfo.exe /LoadCerts" since that is what i suspect the installation is hanging on, but that hangs too. Running "vtpinfo.exe /GetSearchPath" returns the correct path for the install temp folder under "C:\Windows\Temp\". 

I cannot see the mfehidk.exe process running.

MA is v5.0.4.470

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

MFEHIDK.exe is the main drivers installer. You should see it running pretty much as soon as you launch the installation. That definitley sounds like certificates or potentially something with your script. Have you tried running the upgrade directly from the orginal patch package instead of via script? Does it work then?

One other thing - are you running the patch update and not the full installer?

Was my reply helpful?
powe
Not applicable
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

This is not the first time this script is used to upgrade VSE, but I'm not ruling out that there can be something new in p12 that breaks it. Last time it was used was to update to p9. The script first uninstalls the old VSE version, and then runs the full installer. 

Installation is started with

setupvse.exe /qb!- ALLUSERS=1 ADDLOCAL=ALL REMOVE=LotusNotesScan,AccessProtection REBOOT=R /l <log_path>
powe
Not applicable
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

I've tried to start the .exe manually now, but it still hangs.

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

That'd definitly something that needs to be investigated further by our Technical Support Team. The best thing you can do to get a quick response from support, is to raise an SR via the service portal and attach the following:

* a procmon log from during the installation (see KB89433 for more info on procmon if needed)

* a MER from the client after the installation attempt

Was my reply helpful?
powe
Not applicable
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Alright, i'll see if i can get an export request through to get the logs out of the system. Thanks for all your help Smiley Happy

Darsch
Not applicable
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

I had the same issue trying to upgrade McAfee Client Proxy on some machines, the following command seemed to fix it:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\vtpinfo.exe" /resetvtpcache

powe
Not applicable
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

I finally solved it, we are upgrading the epoAgent in the same run, and changing the installation order from 1. epoAgent 2. VSE to the reverse seems to have done the trick. Altough i think this problem was very specefic to the system I'm working in, I'm putting the solution here in case it might work for someone else.

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.