cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am desperate with mcaffe and outlook. Any nice guy to help me with my trouble?

Hi,

Anytime I open the microsoft outlook I have the attached messages:

Header 1
C/ Program Files/ Mcaffee/ Managed Virus Scan/otlkUI.20100207082146.dll

C/ Program Files/ Mcaffee/ Managed Virus Scan/otlkUI.20090713163057.dll

C/ Program Files/ Mcaffee/ Managed Virus Scan/otlkUI.20100201220902.dll

I had installed and reinstalled three time the mcaffe and deleted and reinstalled the outlook..

Any help how can I remove the three messages?
Many tahnks on advanced,

Inigo

Moved provisionally to VirusScan Enterprise as definitely not Consumer product.. Moderator

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/02/10 9:14:14 EST PM
5 Replies
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: I am desperate with mcaffe and outlook. Any nice guy to help me with my trouble?

b00010136 wrote:

Hi,

Anytime I open the microsoft outlook I have the attached messages:

Header 1
C/ Program Files/ Mcaffee/ Managed Virus Scan/otlkUI.20100207082146.dll

C/ Program Files/ Mcaffee/ Managed Virus Scan/otlkUI.20090713163057.dll

C/ Program Files/ Mcaffee/ Managed Virus Scan/otlkUI.20100201220902.dll

I had installed and reinstalled three time the mcaffe and deleted and reinstalled the outlook..

Any help how can I remove the three messages?
Many tahnks on advanced,

Inigo

Moved provisionally to VirusScan Enterprise as definitely not Consumer product.. Moderator

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/02/10 9:14:14 EST PM

Not sure if this is the problem, but it could be that you have a file, called Extend.dat that is attempting to launch an add-in that is not running properly.

The simple answer is to delete  Extend.dat files from the 'documents and settings' folders.

Extend.dat  is a 'performance' enhancement used by Outlook to load add-ons without  the need of looking into the registry for loading instructions. When  Outlook is open and you installed the McAfee Outlook Addon, Scanotlk.dll  could not be cleared from Extend.dat. Now, every time Outlook loads it  is using the cached information in Extend.dat to load a now missing  Scanotlk.dll file -- thus the error message.

The good news is  that the Extend.dat file is completely rebuilt if it is deleted. When  Outlook is run the next time, it rebuilds Extend.dat using the settings  in the registry to repopulate the correct information.

This needs  to be done while Outlook is closed. I would suggest doing this from a  login script, which should happen before Outlook is running.

del "%Userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Extend.dat"

As  an administrator I use this:
del /f /s /q "%UserProfile%\..\Extend.Dat"

Hope this helps.
Ron  Metzger
Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee dmeier
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 6

Re: I am desperate with mcaffe and outlook. Any nice guy to help me with my trouble?

If removing the extend.dat doesn't help, can you confirm that McAfee is actually mispelled on your system? I'm curious if this is a legit application, or not.

Highlighted

Some questions:

What is the exact product name and version of your McAfee software?

What version of outlook are you running and on what OS?

Where do you get these messages exactly?

Regards

That was the perfect answer!!!

Great many thanks,

Inigo

El mensaje fue editado por: b00010136 on 19/02/10 12:33:32 CST
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Hi Inigo,

Great, glad to help.

Thanks,

Ron Metzger

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community