cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cccc
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Howto kill mcafee services from the command line?

Jump to solution

hi

We have VSE 8.7i SP2 installed.

One of our WIN2003 Standard SP2 server is completely hanging since 3 hours at shutdown.

It seems, cannot stop mcafee services by itself.

I've already tried to connect using mmc -> add/remove snap-in -> services, but I cannot any stop mcafee services.

I can connect to this server via remote using PsExec from Sysinternals Suite, so I have the command line.

Howto stop mcafee services from the command line?

If I try from the command line:

net stop "McAfee McShield"

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

Pls help is really urgent.

on 5/8/10 5:54:07 PM CDT
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Howto kill mcafee services from the command line?

Jump to solution

You could try one other thing.  connect to that machine from another box using the virusscan console , open vs console, tools, remote console (i recommend a machine on the same lan)..

when the remote console comes up.  dbl click access protection and see if you can uncheck the prevent stopping mcafee services from being stopped...

then you can try your net stop mcafeeframework and see if it that helps the deal..

5 Replies
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

cccc wrote:

hi

We have VSE 8.7i SP2 installed.

One of our WIN2003 Standard SP2 server is completely hanging since 3 hours at shutdown.

It seems, cannot stop mcafee services by itself.

I've already tried to connect using mmc -> add/remove snap-in -> services, but I cannot any stop mcafee services.

I can connect to this server via remote using PsExec from Sysinternals Suite, so I have the command line.

Howto stop mcafee services from the command line?

If I try from the command line:

net stop "McAfee McShield"

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

Pls help is really urgent.

on 5/8/10 5:54:07 PM CDT

Yes, that is expected. From version 8.5i on, self-protection mechanisms exist to stop malware from terminating VSE. Thus, unless you specifically shut Off these self-protection settings, other processes and programs will not be successful at terminating VSE. This is by design. Running 'net stop mcshield' (or other McAfee services) will not work. Again, you would have to turn off the self protection measures first before these services can be stopped from the command line.

Since this is happening at shutdown, there is not much you can do, but power cycle the system and hope for the best. By now, any services that have responded to the shutdown notification, have responded and shut down.

I for one, have added UPHClean (User Profile Hive Cleanup service) to Windows 2003 and down. (This service has been included with Windows Vista and up.) This could help with the shutdown process for the future.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displa... for more information on UPHClean.

Good luck,

Ron Metzger

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

You could try one other thing.  connect to that machine from another box using the virusscan console , open vs console, tools, remote console (i recommend a machine on the same lan)..

when the remote console comes up.  dbl click access protection and see if you can uncheck the prevent stopping mcafee services from being stopped...

then you can try your net stop mcafeeframework and see if it that helps the deal..

cccc
Level 7
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Thx, connect to that machine from another box using the virusscan console seems to work well.

Jump to solution

Hi,

As we are stopping the service from command line, there should be some command line solution to do "uncheck the prevent stopping mcafee services from being stopped".

I have not find any solution to do so using command line. Please let me know any possible way to do so.

Thanks & Regards,
Ankur

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @ankgupta4

Our products are designed to not be allowed to stop. As a security vendor we expect to see malicous processes attempt to stop us and therefore we have in-built protection to not allow this. As a result of this though there is no way you can stop our processes via command line or via the services panal. You would need to manipulate the services in safe mode to disable them.

Please feel free to submit an Idea to our forum: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60021

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center