cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to use mirror tasks in McAfee VirusScan?

McAfee VirusScan is the product of McAfee that is considered to be one of the reputed online security software. One can avail it by purchasing the trial versions which is going to remain for 30-days or go for purchasing the full versions permanently until one opt for another product of the same antivirus or different antivirus.

The mirror tasks in McAfee VirusScan imitate the update files from the very first accessible repository which is defined in the repository list to mirror site on the network. It is used to mirror the contents of McAfee download site to a local server.

The computers on your network can very easily download the files from the mirror site after the user imitates the McAfee site that contains the update files.

<a herf="https://www.mcafee-supportnumber.com/>mcafee virusScan</a>

Enterprise relies on the directory structure to update all by itself.

Labels (2)
21 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 22

Re: How to use mirror tasks in McAfee VirusScan?

You can mirror the content hosted in the McAfee repositories by any means available to you, wget for example, they are all public. There is no mandate to use a VSE mirror task.

You can browse the http and the ftp repositories even manually (http://update.nai.com/products/commonupdater / ftp://ftp.mcafee.com/commonupdater/).

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 3 of 22

Can I create a repository that can mirror the content hosted in the McAfee site? Just in case my ePO is down for a certain number of days. 

Thanks. 

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 22

Hello,

Please refer below link and check:

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/endpoint-security-10.5.0-common-product-guide-epolicy-orchestrator-wi...

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 5 of 22

Correct me if I'm wrong. that is to configure ENS client console on the endpoint right? What if we have thousands of endpoints?.Is there a similar settings available for ePO console? Thanks. 

My scenario is ePO is down for 2-3 days. I still want to make the endpoints reporting to the ePO updated with latest virus definition. What are the options I have aside from using McAfee fallback site?

Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 22

The mirror task is simply used to replicate the update files from the first accessible repository (i.e.. your ePO), to a mirror site on your network (i.e. a local share). This has to be set up locally and you would only do this on one system.

After you've created the repository and have replicated the content files, you need to specify this location as an update repository in your repository list. Your clients will then know to use this repository to update from. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
Highlighted
Level 9
Message 7 of 22

OK. I understand. Based on your explanation, it appears it is not the right solution for the scenario I provided? What are the options I have aside from McAfee fallback site?

Thanks.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 22

May I just ask - what situations are you expecting the systems not to update from ePO or from fallback? Where would you like the systems to get updates from in this scenario?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
Highlighted
Level 9
Message 9 of 22

Couple of months ago, something went wrong on the server where our ePO is located. DIsk space went full, ePO services were stopped and it took us 2-3 days to fix it. Our client asked us how we can update the virus definition in case something similar happens in the future as it is a risk not getting a virus update even for a day. 

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 22

Thank you for clarifying. Typically I would expect most systems to update by the McAfee Fallback Site - as this is http I should imagine most systems would be able to update by this method.

If you wanted a local fallback you would need to either define another server to contain a distributed repository or you can use the mirror task to replicate the content to another local share. A distributed repository would not help in this scenario because it copies the files from your ePO server to the repository - if ePO isn't updating, neither will this repository.

So your best bet would be using a different server on which you would create the mirror task to a folder. This folder you then define as a share and you define this share as a fall back site in your ePO agent repository policy. (As I described better in a previous answer).

The only other thing I can think of is something I typically suggest customers to use for offline sites but it requires a lot of manual interaction which is not desirable. But here let me describe it:

You would again create a share on a system that the clients can reach. In this share you can copy the local executable which you can download daily from our website (security updates - standalone V2 DAT package for VSE). You can then create a scheduled task via GPO to then execute this file. But you would need to copy the standalone executable into that location on a daily basis....

Was my reply helpful?
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community