Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mhday
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

How to uninstall "McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service"

Jump to solution

Please let me know how I can uninstall "McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service".  McAfee and VirusScan have already been uninstalled but this service still exists.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 7

Re: How to uninstall "McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service"

Jump to solution

Hi mhday

If you are still seeing these services after an uninstallation task and a reboot of the system, then you may want to consider using the Endpoint Removal Tool to help you clean up the system. You can find this in your product downloads under "Utilities and Connectors".

In regards to this tool, we'd like to make you aware of the following KB and advise you to read it in full: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90895

McAfee does not recommend using the Endpoint Product Removal (EPR) tool as your primary method for uninstalling our products nor as a step in your upgrade process. The EPR tool is intended as a last resort tool. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution" and give Kudos if appropriate.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
6 Replies
mhday
Level 7
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Further info ... sorry.  This is on a Windows 2008 R2 server.

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi mhday

If you are still seeing these services after an uninstallation task and a reboot of the system, then you may want to consider using the Endpoint Removal Tool to help you clean up the system. You can find this in your product downloads under "Utilities and Connectors".

In regards to this tool, we'd like to make you aware of the following KB and advise you to read it in full: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90895

McAfee does not recommend using the Endpoint Product Removal (EPR) tool as your primary method for uninstalling our products nor as a step in your upgrade process. The EPR tool is intended as a last resort tool. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution" and give Kudos if appropriate.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
mhday
Level 7
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution
Perfect ... thanks!
mhday
Level 7
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Unfortunately this product did not detect that "McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service" was installed.  The only component it deteceted was the McAfee DAT Repudiation.  We  selected that and removed it but "McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service" is still listed as a running service. 

Once again there are no other McAfee products in Programs and Features and the various \Program Files\Mcafee folders are empty.

Any other suggestions?

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

If the tool didn't detect the services then you would need to perform a manual clean up of the system. Here the steps for that service. You will most likely need to perform these steps in safe mode:

* Navigate to C:/Windows/System32/Drivers and delete or rename the service
* Navigate within your registry to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services and remove the entry for the service

You may at this time want to check for any other services which haven't been removed. You will find all in the same location and they will begin with "mfe". Others are: mcshield, mctaskmanager and masvc

You will further need to check if the file system has any leftovers, you can check the following locations:

C:/Windows/Temp/McAfeeLogs

%Temp%/McAfeeLogs

%ProgramData%/McAfee

C:/Program Files/McAfee

C:/Program Files/Common Files/McAfee

C:/Program Files (86)/McAfee

C:/Program Files (86)/Common Files/McAfee

IMPORTANT:

This information is intended for System Administrators. Registry modifications are irreversible and could cause system failure if done incorrectly.

Before proceeding, Technical Support strongly recommends that you back up your registry and understand the restore process. For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986.

If you are uncertain which mfe*.sys files belong to McAfee, view the Company Name column in Explorer or the Details tab in the file Properties.

Was my reply helpful?
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

@mhday By your description, it sounds like you are utilizing the EPR tool via the GUI interface. Instead, I suggest you use it via command line, as you can call for product removal without needing to have the checkbox available in the GUI. I would advise you call out the name of the products you had installed via their individual commands. These commands can be found in the REGISTERED User Guide Article PD27734

If this fails to remove the service, then there are likely remnant references to this service by a different product. Detailed logs would need to be reviewed by Support to assist with determining what these would be. As such, you could either defer to chealy's manual steps, or give us a call.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support
  • The McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in is now available in the Software Manager. Follow the instructions in the Product Guide for more.