cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to temporarily disable McAfee when installing other software?

I want to install my HP printer from a thumb drive on my lenovo X60 laptop.  The install program suggests I temporarily disable McAfee as it takes much longer to install if it's on ... plus the installation could fail.  The install program will be accessing the HP site.   Can someone tell me how to temporarily disable McAfee? 

Thanks!

13 Replies

Re: How to temporarily disable McAfee when installing other software?

forgot to mention  I have release 4.5.0.1852

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 14

release 4.5.0.1852

I'm not familiar with that version.  What happens when you double-click the taskbar icon, is the resulting interface something like this?

Capture.JPG

If so then you can temporarily disable Virusscan by clicking Virus and Spyware Protection

Then click Real-Time Scanning and you can then turn it off anf tell it for how long to stay that way.

You can do the same with Firewall although I don't recommend that by clicking Web and Email Protection, then Firewall.

In my experience however, despite several applications I've installed that have warned me to turn off protection, I've found that usually there is no need to do so.

karthiks
Level 12
Message 4 of 14

Hi,

I want to know whether you are using Consumer McAfee Product or Enterprise McAfee product. It would be very helpful if you attach a screen shot. Thanks,

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Hi Karthik,  I think you are on to something...it sounds like a McAfee Agent version number to me.   If so I can move this thread accordingly.

karthiks
Level 12
Message 6 of 14

Yes peter, because in consumer products I don’t think there is no release version  4.5.0.1852, it should be an enterprise McAfee one, but let check with the screen shot to confirm the same.

Thanks for your help.   I do have the enterprise version ... using my work laptop.   When I click on the icon in the system tray this is what I see

mcafee.bmp

When I click on Manage Features/Virus Scan Enterprise this is what I see:

screen capture 2.bmp

I did try to install my printer anyway and it failed

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 14

OK I've moved this from Home Products to the right area Business > Endpoint Security > VSE.   I think but am not sure that it's the On-Access Scanner that needs to be disabled but I will defer to any expert that hopefully will chip in here.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/07/12 11:07:01 EDT AM
koseelen
Level 10
Message 9 of 14

Hi you need to disable the following :

1. "access protection" and " prevent mcafee services from being stopped"

2. on-access scanner.

Point 1 - it is found in the access protection properties . If it is greyed out , then you need to unlock the console. -----> tools -----> unlock user interface .

Argh!!! Please do not disable the On-Access Scanner... ever. I can promise you doing this is the single fastest way to getting infected. I have been helping our corporate customers for 7+ years with over 200+ outbreaks. Doing this is the cause of about 70% of all outbreaks. It has nothing to do with which DAT you have. It has everything to do with having bad policies and procedures. Taking your seatbelt off to change radio stations is a bad idea. So is this.

The advice to "disable AV when you install" is OLD advice. it has been around for 20+ years and back in the previous century it was sometimes a decent idea. It was a way for application vendors to reduce their own support calls. However, McAfee prides itself on having one of the lowest false positive rates out there. We will trade off a lot to make sure of that. This advice isn't just unneeded. It is harmful. For years I have had adminstrators swear they need to disable OAS for some reason... and you don't. Please leave it on.

Do. Not. Disable. On-Access Scanning. Ever. Seriously. Ever. Please.

(I'm happy to discuss this but I'm firm on my position here. Helping clean up hundreds of thousands of machines is the evidence I'll present.)

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.