Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sazzad
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

How to kill McAfee processes permanantly

We are using VSE8.8.0 on different versions of Windows server including 2012 R2 edition. For a specific period of time i want to pause all the McAfee services from that machine(2012 R2).

After disabling from "Virus Scan Conlsole", still "McAfee On Access Scanner" & "McAfee Agent"services is running at "Task Manager".

I have checked from "services.msc" to kill them permanently without any success.

Is there anything that i can do from ePO? Any idea to suggest!

2 Replies

Re: How to kill McAfee processes permanantly

Hello Sazzard

You are placing the server at risk, by disabling the AV.

To disable the AV :

Go the A access protection on the VSE console . deselect the 2 tick boxes :

1. Enable access protection

2. Prevent mcAfee services from being stopped.

When this is done , go to the services.msc

stop all the mcafee services . Then go to the properties of the services and select disabled.

This should stop the services from starting up.

Regis
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: How to kill McAfee processes permanantly

I can't think of any legitimate need to disable McAfee Agent.  It's very light and I've never ever had a problem with it interfering with anything.  LIkewise for VirusScan Enterprise per se.   I have however had occasion to disable the AccessProtection portion of VSE at times.  For that, in ePO I like to implement a tag, and use a policy assignment rule to apply a VSE policy in which Access protection is disabled for hosts that have my "VSE - Disable Access Protection" tag.        You could combine this technique with a server taskk to apply that tag at given intervals and to send a couple of wake up call to apply the new policy/tag.   I've not done this but just thinking out loud.     

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.