cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eug
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

How to import ePO policies in VSE without McAfee Agent?

Jump to solution

Hi,

We have several workstations that works without corporate LAN.

Is there an opportunity to import task and policies from my ePO server to "stand alone" VSE8.8?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to import ePO policies in VSE without McAfee Agent?

Jump to solution

Hi eug,

Well, I know of no direct way to do this. However, I have used another tool called McAfee Installation Designer (MID) whereby I can create a complete configuration (in your case without an agent referencing an ePO server).

The objective of MID is to create an 'Image' of your installation with whatever configuration settings you find appropriate to your environment. Multiple images are easy to create for multiple needs. You may want to construct an image specifically for the disconnected/portable systems where ePO servers are unlikely to be available. In this case, ensure that the updates reference the public McAfee (http/ftp) sites.

Download MID

You can download MID with a valid Grant Number here:

Download My Products Login | McAfee Downloads

Products > McAfee Endpoint Protection Suite (or whatever product for which you are licensed and entitled)

Utilities

Installation Designer v8.8 (or v8.7, but use v8.8 if you can).

To create a base image with all defaults, download the default configuration of VSE v8.8 and install it this way on a system without any references to your ePO server.

Configure the system as you like. Test away. Then install MID on the system and capture the image. Copy this image to the distribution media of choice and test the install on another test system. Repeat the process until you are satisfied with the results. Distribute as needed following your license agreement.

You can download VSE v8.8 with a valid Grant Number here:

Products > McAfee Endpoint Protection Suite (or whatever product for which you are licensed and entitled)

Endpoint Security

VirusScan Enterprise v8.8

Hope this helps.

Ron Metzger

4 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi eug,

Well, I know of no direct way to do this. However, I have used another tool called McAfee Installation Designer (MID) whereby I can create a complete configuration (in your case without an agent referencing an ePO server).

The objective of MID is to create an 'Image' of your installation with whatever configuration settings you find appropriate to your environment. Multiple images are easy to create for multiple needs. You may want to construct an image specifically for the disconnected/portable systems where ePO servers are unlikely to be available. In this case, ensure that the updates reference the public McAfee (http/ftp) sites.

Download MID

You can download MID with a valid Grant Number here:

Utilities

Installation Designer v8.8 (or v8.7, but use v8.8 if you can).

To create a base image with all defaults, download the default configuration of VSE v8.8 and install it this way on a system without any references to your ePO server.

Configure the system as you like. Test away. Then install MID on the system and capture the image. Copy this image to the distribution media of choice and test the install on another test system. Repeat the process until you are satisfied with the results. Distribute as needed following your license agreement.

You can download VSE v8.8 with a valid Grant Number here:

Endpoint Security

VirusScan Enterprise v8.8

Hope this helps.

Ron Metzger

Jump to solution

Hi Eug,

How is it going?

By the way, MID allows you to make many images corresponding to many needs, ePO or non-ePO connected.

Anyway, let us know how things are going.

Ron Metzger

eug
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

All works, thanks. I create an installation package from machine that is managing by ePO server. All corporate AV policies are built in now.

For update we`ll use this article: McAfee KnowledgeBase - How to manually update the DAT files for VirusScan Enterprise 8.x

Thank you for help.

Best wishes.

Eugene.

Jump to solution

Your welcome Eugene.

Good luck.

Ron Metzger