Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
susja
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

How to handle "Names of detection signatures in EXTRA.DAT = Trojan-Wiper (ED)"

Hello,

I'm scanning my small set of PC's for a few weeks and today firtst time I hit this error: " Names of detection signatures in EXTRA.DAT  = Trojan-Wiper (ED)"

Could someone please explain me whant means EXTRA.DAT? Is it addition to .DAT? In my case I am using xdat.exe to get latest .DAT and then command line for scanning. How should I handle the issue? I only have OnDemandLog.txt file at the end of scan. Should I open Console and analyze what McAfee did with that malware Trojan-Wiper. BTW is it a virus? What measures should I take to get rid of it?

I will attach a small log that I got from my scan.

Thanks

P.S. After first detection of Trojan-Wiper in 2 hours I ran again with a newer version of .DAT and it again detected the same issue. Does it mean first time it was neither cleaned not Quarantined?

7 Replies

Re: How to handle "Names of detection signatures in EXTRA.DAT = Trojan-Wiper (ED)"

I am Consumer oriented, however see this Link:McAfee KnowledgeBase - Threat Advisory: Trojan-Wiper

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
susja
Level 10
Message 3 of 8

Re: How to handle "Names of detection signatures in EXTRA.DAT = Trojan-Wiper (ED)"

thanks,

will take a look now

susja
Level 10
Message 4 of 8

Re: How to handle      "Names of detection signatures in EXTRA.DAT  =     Trojan-Wiper (ED)"

Well I'm a little bit confused.

Second time scan found the same issue (based on log).

After it complete scan I opend a console but don't see any notice of found issue ( see attachment )

How could I find what has been done with the issue (if any)

Thanks

Console.PNG

As much as I would like to oblige you, it is beyond my expertize. I basically am involved on the Consumer side of the Equation. Hopefully one with more in-depth knowledge will pick this thread up, and can better assist you.

I simply wanted you to have an idea of the here-in mentioned Detection that McAfee has advised upon.

All the Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

(Consumer Products)

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Extra dat file released by McAfee on Emergency release, which will be added into future release full DAT file. Extra DAT file concept is for McAfee corporate customers where if someone having issues with specific viruses not for everyone. But later McAfee will added into full DAT file for all.

Thank you ...

Have a Merry Christmas

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
susja
Level 10
Message 8 of 8

Re: How to handle      "Names of detection signatures in EXTRA.DAT  =     Trojan-Wiper (ED)"

Well ... thanks for reply but I'm still confused.

Yesterday I ran 7659 version and got that message. Today I ran 7660 version but got the same message again.

I assumed that in a new release ( I consider 7660 new v.s. 7659 ) I will not see that message ..."EXTRA.DAT  = Trojan-Wiper (ED)" BUT I still see it.

Then what you folks meant when you said it will be included in a new release?

For now I treat it as informational only ... not a real threat.

Will continue to observe.

Thanks anayway