cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add Exception for Wildcard in VSE 8.8.0 Access Protection

Jump to solution

Hi There,

i'm using access Protection (VSE 8.8.0) to prevent Browser from Opening .exe Files in %appdata% .

i configured a Wildcard and it works prefectly. now i want to make an Exception for a specific  .exe File in Appdata but i dont know how to achieve it. Wildcard prevents me to add exception.

i appreciate your help in this issue.

Greeting

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AjaySundar
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Re: How to add Exception for Wildcard in VSE 8.8.0 Access Protection

Jump to solution

Hi @user_lz123,

Good day to you!

Unfortunately, what you are trying to achieve is not possible using the McAfee VSE. On VSE you would only be able to exclude the source process, excluding chrome makes the rule that you have created null.

However, with the help of ENS you can block chrome.exe from accessing all the executables/files and execute/access the file that you would like it to access.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

AJ

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AjaySundar
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi @user_lz123,

Can you please share the screenshot of the exclusion that you have added?

Can you try %appdata%/text.exe?

Regards,

AJ

Jump to solution

Hi  AjaySundar,

thanks for your effort. let's say, i configured following Rule:

firstly where is the rule? rule is in VSE Access Protection >> User-defined Rules :

using this rule, Access Protection prevents Chrome executing EXE-Files in User profile.

now i want to permit chrome executing a specific EXE-File in User profile in spite of Wildcard.

For Example:  Chrome should be able to open/Execute only C:\Users\*\something.exe 

how can i achieve that?

Greeting

AjaySundar
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi @user_lz123,

Good day to you!

Unfortunately, what you are trying to achieve is not possible using the McAfee VSE. On VSE you would only be able to exclude the source process, excluding chrome makes the rule that you have created null.

However, with the help of ENS you can block chrome.exe from accessing all the executables/files and execute/access the file that you would like it to access.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

AJ

View solution in original post

BSharma
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

@user_lz123 

just to add more, you may also try following example: 

Ref: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB50998

• File exclusions
    Use a single asterisk (*) wildcard to denote partial file name matches or wildcard extension matches, for example:

c:\windows\abc*.rtf
    c:\windows\abc.*

Do not use trailing backslashes for file name matches. Doing so results in VSE excluding the wrong items. To clarify this point, review the following two examples:

c:\windows\abc
    c:\windows\abc\

The first exclusion is treated as a file name, and the second exclusion is treated as a directory.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community