cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ilmuuu
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

How can I determine whether the McAfee firewall is on?

I'm asking this questions because recently I setup a website on my computer using IIS, but any computer except my own cannot access to my website, and they cannot ping to my computer either. I assume it is the problem with the firewall, so I disabled the windows firewall. It didn't work.

Now I guess maybe McAfee, the only anti-virus software on my computer, includes a firewall. But the problem is that this computer was pre-installed with all the necessary software by the university, and the only information I can get for now is that it is a "VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.8, Anti-Malware+ Add-on Modules". Within the software console, I cannot find anything about the firewall.

So, can anyone help me to confirm whether this particular McAfee software incorporates a firewall. If yes, how can I turn it off and change the settings? If not, what could possibly cause failed ping to my computer?

Also, can I find a potential firewall process in the "Task Manager"? I saw mcshield.exe and mfevtps.exe. Will either of them function as a firewall?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

And happy Thanksgiving!

6 Replies

Re: How can I determine whether the McAfee firewall is on?

I moved this from Consumer to Virus Scan Enterprise as your Profile states  such, and by your own confirmation. Being a Moderator for (Consumer Products) we have the (2) processes listed. Hopefully one with more knowledge of the Enterprise Product will pick up this discussion/further assist you.

In addition you could quite possibly consult with your University IT Department to answer your questions.

All the very Best,

CD/Catdaddy

Volunteer Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

I might add that in the Consumer Version, McShield/Mfevtps.exe has nothing to do with the Firewall, if I am not terribly mistaken.

And a 'Happy Thanksgiving' to you as well

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
ilmuuu
Level 7
Message 4 of 7

Sorry I didn't realize it should be posted here. Thank you very much for your help!

You are quite welcome In the Consumer version there would be a 'Prompt' indicating Your 'Firewall' is off. Other wise it would indicate your 'Computer is secure'

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
tomz2
Level 11
Message 6 of 7

Hi ilmuuu,

VSE does not include a firewall in the traditional sense. VSE does have a feature called Access Protection that can be used to block applications from connecting on certain ports, however, this is generally used for applications initiating outbound connections. As you mentioned that VSE was installed by your university, I would suggest working with their IT team as they may have policies or other software installed on your system that could be preventing connectivity. Out of curiosity, has your university deployed McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention by chance? McAfee HIPS does have a firewall module. If your university has deployed HIPS, they may have a firewall policy preventing inbound ICMP and port 80 requests. Again, you will need to work with your university support teams to determine the best way to enable your workload.

I am inclined to agree with , That consulting your IT Support Team would be the best avenue to getting your issue/concerns dealt with. I think I mentioned that in Post #1...

All The best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer