Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 61 of 74

Re: High memory usage on servers since upgrading to VSE 8.8 P6

Having to step in here to help you guys maintain technical accuracy -

MFeB is _not_ the tag for Access Protection.

That you can disable Access Protection and affect the MFeB pool tag memory usage is pertinent, but it's not a direct one-to-one mapping, FYI.

MFeB is used by our link driver to track token object data, which it allocates in response to items being created by other drivers (of which Access Protection's driver is one - but it is not the only one).

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Thanks for the clarification!!!! As long as it directly affects its memory allocation, that's good enough for me for now.

norbertg
Level 12
Message 63 of 74

I'm still reading through the thread but I am getting BSOD on one XP PC. I get the same error as kapaaian reported earlier about unable to allocate resources. The PC would fail pretty much every 20 hours or so. Sometimes the PC would reboot, other times it wouldn't. I have deployed the agent on 2 other XP machines, one that stays up 24/7 for 2 weeks before schedule reboot and they seem fine. I have deployed it to a win7 PC that is up 24/7 outside of patching and my win 10 (I leave it on pretty often) both so far no issues.

The Windows 10 and 7 systems (provided they both have access protection enabled) will eventually crash as well. It will just take much longer (possibly several weeks without a reboot).

You can either disable AP on the XP system until Patch 7 comes out, or better, upgrade the XP system to 7/8.1/10 and reboot it occasionally 🙂

norbertg
Level 12
Message 65 of 74

I wish I could get past XP for those PC's but due to legacy software that is a no go. We have branches running XP (over 180 PC's) that we can't 'upgrade' from until the Point of Sales system is moved to the new vendor. I have no ETA on when that will happen.

I noticed alhaawi talked about Agent 5.0.2, would that cause the leaks as well? I am only deploying Agent 5.0.2 to our test PC's that are running VSE 8.8p6.

I don't know how to link to his post but this is what he said:

As you may know The MFeB tag comes within the installation of syscore 15.2.x , So it will be there if agent 5.02 is installed therefore you will have the memory leak even if you have vse 8.8 p4 and access protection blocking,  so p7 will be good with agent 4.8.   if you provide me with your contact i will send  you a tool to show this issue if there is AP blcoking for agent 5.02 or vse p6 so you do not have to wait for customers feedback and speed up the fix.

Best regards

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 66 of 74

I noticed alhaawi talked about Agent 5.0.2, would that cause the leaks as well? 

Yes, that is correct.

As long as VSE is installed, and it doesn't matter what version of VSE it is, when another product comes along and installs the 15.4.0.674 build of our driver code, then you now have the environment necessary for the leak. Plan to reboot often, or wait for Patch 7.

We've verified that Patch 7 will solve the leak (hooray ). However, our patch 7 release schedule is a bit up in the air at the moment (install problems reported against patch 6 we're trying to do something about with patch 7).

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
norbertg
Level 12
Message 67 of 74

Thanks wwarren and kapaaian

Highlighted
norbertg
Level 12
Message 68 of 74

New VSE is out.

1082074KB86124Issue: Non-page pool memory leak in pool tag MFeB occurs when Access Protection is enabled.

Solution: This issue is planned for resolution in VSE 8.8 Patch 7. See the related article for details.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB84854

It's not marked as resolved though.

damiafaw
Level 10
Message 69 of 74

I found that there is sparse information regarding Patch 7 still and if it doesnt resolve the outstanding issues...they should of just sat on it until they resolved them to be honest.

tomz2
Level 11
Message 70 of 74

Patch 7 and supporting documentation are making their way through the publishing process currently. I would expect within the next 24 hours or so, any supporting KBs / release notes will be available.

wwarren can correct me if I'm wrong. 

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community