cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: High memory usage on servers since upgrading to VSE 8.8 P6

Hi guys

We have been doing some tests here and might be getting close to an answer, at least for us. We have found that if you disable Common Standard Protection > Prevent termination of McAfee processes for both block and reporting, the MFeB leak stops. By a process of elimination, we think that the problem is due to a clash between our host's Intel ILO drivers, and the VSE P6. This is because for us, we have only seen the leak happen on our Intel servers, it has not happened on our Dell hosts. However, on our last test overnight, with what we thought were all the ILO processes excluded, MFeB still got bigger on our test host with "prevent termination" on. We will continue to test and I will update.

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 52 of 74

FYI, from what we have seen of memory dumps provided to us for analysis of this issue, we believe the issue is solved by code changes that are releasing with Patch 7.

We do not know that of a surety at this time, but have extended a test package to a couple of customers in hopes they can solidify our belief.

If you want to assist us in proving the theory, reach out to Support. We'll first want to confirm you're seeing the MFeB pool tag increase issue, and in what timeframe the leak becomes noticeable so that when the test package is installed we'll have confidence in the results.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

hi wwarren

As you may know The MFeB tag comes within the installation of syscore 15.2.x , So it will be there if agent 5.02 is installed therefore you will have the memory leak even if you have vse 8.8 p4 and access protection blocking,  so p7 will be good with agent 4.8.   if you provide me with your contact i will send  you a tool to show this issue if there is AP blcoking for agent 5.02 or vse p6 so you do not have to wait for customers feedback and speed up the fix.

Best regards

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 54 of 74

if you provide me with your contact i will send  you a tool to show this issue if there is AP blcoking for agent 5.02 or vse p6 so you do not have to wait for customers feedback and speed up the fix.

Sure. Upload it to me here:

ftp://custftp2.nai.com/incoming/tier3/wwarren, just let me know the filename.

Anonymous will let you connect and place the file.

The site won't allow download, only upload.

The filename must be unique and we don't allow listing folder content

This page can’t be displayed

• Make sure that the web address ftp://custftp2.nai.com is correct.
  • Look for the page with your search engine.
  • Refresh the page in a few minutes.
McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 56 of 74

Yeah, it's not a website, it's an FTP location.

e.g. At a CMD prompt, type

FTP -A custftp2.nai.com      (the A is case sensitive)

Then at the ftp prompt, type

TYPE binary

PUT C:\path\to\yourfile.exe incoming\tier3\wwarren\yourfile.exe

Thanks,

C:\test>FTP -A custftp2.nai.com

ftp: connect :Connection refused

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 58 of 74

That would be your own firewall/network policies refusing that connection. I can't help you with that sorry.

If you want to make the tool available some other way I'll be happy to grab it.

Highlighted

there is no firewall and I disabled the AP the same error comes back, send your email to alhaawi4321@yahoo.com please

Is there an ETA on Patch 7 or a hotfix to resolve this? Sorry to say, I've already submitted an MER and was basically told there was nothing there, so forgive me for not wanting to bother with that again to get the limited release patch.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center