cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: High memory usage on servers since upgrading to VSE 8.8 P6

Hi wwarren

speaking about tags where to find tags for  processes associated with VirusScan Enterprise and McAfee Agent?

McAfee KnowledgeBase - Process description and load order for VirusScan Enterprise and McAfee Agent

also I noticed if you patch a server to vse p6, and do rdp connection to that server you will get  threat event in the epo from that server  that svchost is trying to terminate some mcafee process? is it risky to exclude svchost or just leave it as is and ignore the threats? I put the details of this on another discussion would you please comment on this either here or there.

Hi kapaaian

do you use the latest VirusScan Extensions for epo, management and reporting? versions 8.8.0.412 and 1.2.0.264

Yes, all of our extensions are current. Our entire deployment is on the most recent version except for DLP (waiting for the version compatible with Windows 10 before going from 9.3 to 9.4)

Hi kapaaian

did you have epo threat events from that server?

No. No threat events. It doesn't seem to be related to getting hits. It is literally the enabling on Access Protection.

did you disable the report on the AP rule? I mean if there is blocking does epo knows about it?

MFeB is the tag for Access Protection. As soon as we stop that service from the VirusScan Console the MFeB memory stops incrementing.

Exactly DriveJames!

We are currently having this memory leak issue in our environment. I don't see that anyone has posted a solution to this issue, however we've identified the source. I am going to open a support case and keep everyone posted.

In our organization we applied Patch 6 in hopes it would actually stabilize issues with memory leaks on 2003 servers running VSE 8.8.0 Patch 4. Symptoms we saw were noted here:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB83443

Per the article we've halted rootkit scanning and in addition we applied Patch 6, however the problem with non-pooled memory leaking seems to have accelerated rather than improved. Also the issue has spilled over to our 2008 and newer servers. For the time being we are going to disable Access Protection and open a case to see if we can find a resolution.

Highlighted

Hi drivejames

do you have blocked threat events?  because I noticed Mfeb keeps increasing  only when  I have access protection  blocked events, of course if you disable the AP there will be no blocking at all but do we have to do that? or just allow the blocked one or just uncheck the blocking for the rule instead of disabling everything

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator