cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i vs. Thunderbird 3.0.4

Months back, Enterprise 8.5 bround Thunderbird 2.x to a virtual standstill, but somehow the problem resolved itself, as best I recall.  Now an update to Enterprise 8.7.0i and Thunderbird 3.x has again rendered the performance of Thunderbird all but useless.  Simply moving from one message to another takes an eternity.  Delete a message?  Wait and wait.  Select multiple messages?  Try several times to select them, then wait and wait some more.  In short, my preferred email reader has become impossible to tolerate.  Oh, and message downloading also takes forever.  Can I tweak settings in the VirusScan Console somehow?  Tweak TB3 somehow?  For now, I do all the real work through web access, then let TB ever so slowly download everything for off-line use.  The only email I use in client mode is GroupWise 7, which is not affected by VirusScan, it appears, nor are the web versions of Gmail or Comcast.

10 Replies
ajacobs
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 11

Re: HELP - VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i vs. Thunderbird 3.0.4

I've moved your post to our VirusScan Enterprise area. Hopefully an expert can help you soon.

Mal09
Level 12
Message 3 of 11

Do you have "Decode Mime Encoded files" ticked in On-Access scanner, Properties, All processes (Or High/Low processes if Thunderbird is defined in one of those), Scan Items. ?

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did have that checked, and removing the check has improved the performance somewhat, but it still takes upwards of 5 sec just to move from one message to another in the Inbox.  Better, but still not close to acceptable performance.

andyross
Level 10
Message 5 of 11

What about excluding the file or folder where the mail is stored? The scanner should only scan the individual messages, and not the the full file.

Thanks, but that was my first effort to speed things up.  I've excluded both the program folder and the data folder with all the accounts (I read four different email addresses into Thunderbird).  It seemed very reasonable, but didn't help.

sgrimmel
Level 11
Message 7 of 11

Hi

Would you be kind enough to test the following:

1. Launch Thunderbird 3.
  2. Click Tools, Options, Advanced.
  3. Deselect Enabled Global Search and Indexer.
    This disables Global Indexing.
  4. Launch VSE
  5. Click Start, Programs, McAfee, VirusScan Console.
  6. Right-click On-Access Scanner and select Properties.
  7. Click All Processes, Exclusions...
  8. Click Add, Browse, navigate to C:\Users\PipesNZ\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird and click OK.
  9. Select Also exclude subfolders.
    NOTE: Ensure the pathname ends with a backslash (\).
  10. Click OK, OK, OK and exit VirusScan Console.
    This adds an exclusion for the directory used by Thunderbird to store its mailbox files.

HTH

Thanks, Mr. G, for the lengthy instructions.  I had already set everything in your list as you directed, except that I misinterpreted the exclusion of subfolders, thinking Yes would mean they would be scanned.  I now believe that should be Yes so that subfolders ARE excluded from the scan.  I made that change (and I've done the same for the Thunderbird program folder C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\ which I hope is not a mistake.)  I regret to report that, at best, this made a very small improvement in performance of Thunderbird.  It still take roughly 3 sec after clicking on a message in the Inbox before it appears in the Preview (?) window below.  Opening an email into a new window takes 5+ sec.  Moving from one Inbox folder to another takes about 3 sec.  It's all very much slower than under VSE 8.5 and Thunderbird 2.x.  Email messages do seem to appear in the Inbox faster, however.  Bottom line - some improvement, but still annoyingly slower than before.  My hardware isn't the greatest (Vista SP2, Intel Core 2 Duo 4300 @ 1.8 gHz, 4GB RAM), but the change is very noticable.  I still hope for better performance.

Highlighted
sgrimmel
Level 11
Message 9 of 11

Hi

Thank you for your feedback.

Please note I am not marginalising your issue, but is seems that this issue is widespread where TB 3  is run in conjunction with most virusscanners. Logical exception are those that do not perform mail scanning. I will investigate if there are other things that may help address the issue.

Regards

That's somewhat discouraging, but I do appreciate your honesty. Maybe I should go back to TB2.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community