cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Failed installation of VSE 88 Patch 12 on all our Windows Servers running 2008 R2

Jump to solution
We have had a variety of issues with low % success rate in installing VSE 88 Patch 12 on our servers running Windows Server 2008 R2, We have had to kill, clean and re-run installations with numerous reboots and re-iterations of the same steps, Some servers we eventually got to work by taking one of 2 approaches, First, 1. Kill the VSESetup process - run task manager, Processes for all users, and you should see the SetUpVSE in there, end that process 2. Go to CMD and cd to ?C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore?, (assuming at least the agent have been installed, you should have that path on the server). 3. Pass the command ?cacheinfo.exe resetall? 4. Then run VSESetup application again. 5. This time it will ask you if you want to repair, modify or remove 6. Choose remove, as probably a rogue or ghost installation was blocking this install 7. Wait the process finishes 8. Run the VSESetup application again, and this time, it will install as per normal. Or second, in some cases this helped removed failed installations, msiexec /x {CE15D1B6-19B6-4D4D-8F43-CF5D2C3356FF} REMOVE=ALL REBOOT=R /q the upshot was in one instance it took me nearly 2 � hours to get VSE cleaned up and the patch 12 version installed. We have a number of servers now with no VSE installed as nothing would work after the failed patch 12 installation. The only common feature in all attempts was that our first step was to uninstall the old VSE first. We only ran into the problems during the patch 12 installation running setupVSE Any advice please?
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 11

Re: Failed installation of VSE 88 Patch 12 on all our Windows Servers running 2008 R2

Jump to solution

@User97400457 In this case, you should look to the KB I linked earlier and move forward with that as your solution. You're clearly dealing with a broken installation/uninstallation and remnants of broken SysCore and have proven you meet the "last resort" criteria for EPR.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Re: Failed installation of VSE 88 Patch 12 on all our Windows Servers running 2008 R2

Jump to solution

The EPR and reboot cleared the way for running the VSE installation successfully, thanks.

Another approach that worked for us was at the cmdline 

move "c:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\vtpinfo.exe" "c:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\vtpinfo_old.exe"

By renaming the vtpinfo.exe my colleague was also able to successfully install VSE patch 12, and tested this out on 10+ servers showing the same issues

Thanks again

10 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

It would be interesting to see why the first update failed - or what it got stuck on. If setupVSE was running then the installation process definitly started. To do that, the logs would be needed - they are in C:\Windows\Temp\McafeeLogs - you could submit these to support if you need help analysing them.

For the systems where nothing is working, same thing the logs would be interesting but if they are in a very broken state you may need to clean them up with the endpoint removal tool now. This tool should however only be used as a last resort so ideally looking at the logs and the system state first with support would be advisable.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

@User97400457 As chealey mentioned, we would need to be able to review your VSE installation logs in order to give you the most effective advice. I would advise that you open a case with Support in order to review, unless you're comfortable sharing the logs here. 

Out of curiosity, are when you run SetupVSE.exe are you making sure to right-click run as administrator?

If your efforts are only successful once you've used the application to run a repair/removal, then it is likely that you have a "ghost installation" as you put it, and it would be best that you clean the systems prior to installation using EPR since your msiexec uninstall attempts are failing. KB90895 discusses the tool for these scenarios.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

We tried from cmdline, and we can see it gets stuck at the same point every time, 

>> Success: INSTALLDIR is C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\
>> Success: SUPPORTDIR is C:\Users\adm_10424\AppData\Local\Temp\{CE15D1B6-19B6-4D4D-8F43-CF5D2C3356FF}
>> Found SysCore directory '<C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore>'
>> Finding file '<C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\vtpinfo.exe>'

It doesnt get past this vtpinfo step in the install

McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

@User97400457 This is an upgrade attempt, correct? Not a fresh install? I assume so because the installer is clearly seeing existing Core. What version of VSE are you upgrading from?

Also, are you running it from an Administrative command prompt?

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution
its not an upgrade attempt as such but the uninstall doesnt seem to be clean, we are having to use the approach in my original post, running the cacheinfo resetall, then running setupVSE and when offered the Remove/Repair/modify we are taking the remove option and SOMETIMES it works but a lot of the time we have to repeat the process. So not surprised this looks like an upgrade but its not supposed to be.
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

@User97400457 In this case, you should look to the KB I linked earlier and move forward with that as your solution. You're clearly dealing with a broken installation/uninstallation and remnants of broken SysCore and have proven you meet the "last resort" criteria for EPR.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution
We shall try this so and schedule overnight reboot. I will update again tomorrow. Thanks
Reliable Contributor tao
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

I've done the following for partial / corrupt installs (with much success):

- Download EEDK and VSExxPxx
- Created VSExxPxx winrar sfx with the following setup commands ...\...\setupvse.exe REINSTALLMODE=amus /q
- ePO package checkin / deploy with task command /s
- Confirm deployment, then launch task to uninstall VSExxPxx

For partial / corrupt installs this process re-installs VSE but more importantly re-installs the reg entries. The uninstall allows for a reboot and to start from square one with a fresh install.

If this information was helpful or has answered your question, please select Accept as Solution. This will assist other memebers

Jump to solution

The EPR and reboot cleared the way for running the VSE installation successfully, thanks.

Another approach that worked for us was at the cmdline 

move "c:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\vtpinfo.exe" "c:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\vtpinfo_old.exe"

By renaming the vtpinfo.exe my colleague was also able to successfully install VSE patch 12, and tested this out on 10+ servers showing the same issues

Thanks again

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.