cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excluding .exe from scanning

Jump to solution

Hello

I have tried excluding .exe processes from the On Access Scanning, by going to Properties, All  Processes and then the Exclusions tab. I put in the processes and apply, but the next day I have to do it all over again. I suspect that the ePO is overwriting the Exclusion, but when I go into the ePO to System Tree, Assigned Policies My Defualt and check the Exclusions in On-Access High-Risk Processes and On Access Low-Risk Processes, where I have put the same processes as on the individual machine, those processes are still there. But they are not being ignored by On Access Scanner. What do I need to do to make these processes stop alerting McAfee? I have been doing this on both the computer and the ePO in hopes that one or the other would work. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Excluding .exe from scanning

Jump to solution

Ah.  Sorry, forget about the detection name, since I see you are using the McAfee Profiler.  

Just be sure to add your .exe process to the exclusions list for the Default Processes policy, as well, since that's where it's going to matter most.  That is, unless you classify the .exe process as being either a low- or high-risk process.  Keep in mind, the Low-Risk and High-Risk processes exclusions only apply to the .exe proceses you specify in those policies.  Everything else is considered a Default Process.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Jump to solution

Are you sure the .exe processes are being detected by McAfee's On-Access Scanner (OAS) and not one of the On-Demand Scan (ODS) tasks?  If it's an ODS task, then you'll need to add the .exe files to the exclusions list of the client task.

Also, you mentioned "High-Risk Processes" and "Low-Risk Processes" above, were the .exe files also added to the "Default Processes" policy, as well?

Curious: What's the detection name?

If "Artemis" is included in the detection name, then check the "Artemis (Heuristic network check for suspicious files)" sensitivity level, and ensure it's "Low", "Very Low" (or "Disabled").

If "PUP" is included in the detection name, then consider adding the exclusion name to the list of "Unwanted program exclusions", or uncheck the category in the "Unwanted Programs Policy"

Finally, if you are sure this is a false-positive detection, then consider submitting it to McAfee:
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB85567

Hope this info helps.

Jump to solution

I have run the McAfee Profiler and add the high scoring processes to the On Access Scanner exclusions. The instructions for use of the McAfee Profiler said to add the exclusions there. As far as the detection name, I'm not sure what you mean. In ePO, under My Default for the High and Low-Risk Process policy is where I put the excluded processes. If any of this is incorrect, please let me know where I need to make the changes. 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Ah.  Sorry, forget about the detection name, since I see you are using the McAfee Profiler.  

Just be sure to add your .exe process to the exclusions list for the Default Processes policy, as well, since that's where it's going to matter most.  That is, unless you classify the .exe process as being either a low- or high-risk process.  Keep in mind, the Low-Risk and High-Risk processes exclusions only apply to the .exe proceses you specify in those policies.  Everything else is considered a Default Process.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community