cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event ID 257 and 258

Hello,

At times I see an error in VS8.8 trying to update a mirror, which reports event ID 258, with the description "The update failed; see event log."

Is there any other location aside from the Windows Event Log where I can find more information about the error? The description in the event log for ID 258 is insufficient.

The question is not really about how to solve this, but rather on how to find detailed debug information about this error.

Thank you,

Pablo

PS: This happens on VS8.8 5400.1158, DAT 6633.0000 on W7Pro

2 Replies
Highlighted
JoeyMc
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Event ID 257 and 258

I've been having the same problem with my update mirror tasks for the last couple days.

I believe it may be due to the large DATs that McAfee has stated they are releasing this week.

I use an update mirror location as a repository for a secondary domain that does not have internet access.

Even though it is failing at some point, I am still getting the updated DAT to my mirror and my secondary ePO server is able to pull it.

There is an additional log here: %DEFLOGDIR%\MirrorLog.txt

(defaults to: C:\ProgramData\McAfee\DesktopProtection\ on 08 server)

Joey

Re: Event ID 257 and 258

Thank you, Joey. That helps.

I will keep looking for some other way to get a more detailed log of what happened. Something as you can find in Linux will be great.

As for the download size, you are right. McAfee's updates are not great for installations in locations with poor connections; these monolithic downloads usually fail many times before completing successfuly.

What about using torrents for this? I'm getting tired of having to restart the download every so often.

Cheers,

Pablo

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community