Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ozzium
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Event 7043 "The McAfee McShield service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control."

It doesn't happen on every shutdown, I can't tell what triggers it.  It doesn't seem to hang up the computer or slow the shutdown process, but it happens occasionally on every computer in the domain.

VSE 8.8.0

HIP 8.0

3 Replies

Re: Event 7043 "The McAfee McShield service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshu

We have this event ID 7043 as well.

•  «The McAfee McShield service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control.»

Doesn't happen on every type of workstation.

Any hint on the direction we should dive into ?

McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

Re: Event 7043 "The McAfee McShield service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshu

Hi @5d88e650 

Thank you for your post.

@ozzium  I have just noticed this post and I am not sure if you need any assistance currently with this. But in case you do or you have a solution, please do share it here.

I would first start by comparing the shutdown time and On Demand scan running on the machine. I would do that by comparing On Demand scan schedule time and the shutdown time.

Also, I will look into the On-Access Scan log and check the same with the shutdown time stamp to see if I can find out any anomalies there.

Both On Access Scan log and On Demand Scan log are available at : C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Logs.

Can you please confirm if these shutdown happened when there were activities being recorded in these logs. This would make more sense!

Also, It is important to understand how these Shutdown events were triggered on the days when the error is received. I sincerely hope this helps to find a good path for further investigation.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

Thanks for the quick answer !

I checked, the only things we have are mentions of 'Not scanned (scan timed out)' around these timestamps, related to scanning svchost.exe and the LocalSystem font cache in OnAccessScanLog.txt. Could a timeout in the scanning engine cause the whole service to be unresponsive to «preshutdown controls» ?

Thanks again,
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community