cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Error uninstalling VSE - VSE880.MSI not found in c:\windows\temp

System has patch 10. Upgrade to Patch 12 is failing. Tried to remove the software from add/remove programs and got this standard pop-up window. The process seems to have created one in -

C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\RepairCache

If I point to that, it uses it and removes the software.

I also see from the P12 log

Warning: Local cached package 'C:\Windows\Installer\eee5928c.msi' is missing

Seem to have this issue on several systems and a potential link is that they are Domain controllers and have RSD. Mind you, we have lots in that situation that dont have this issue. Ideas?

2 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Error uninstalling VSE - VSE880.MSI not found in c:\windows\temp

The likely cause of this is remnants in the registry from a/the previous installation that are now preventing the later version from installing. The MSI internal registry information is likely out of sync with the actual version that is being installed.

My suggestion would be a clean up with the EPR tool and run a fresh install of P12

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee MarkCMc
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: Error uninstalling VSE - VSE880.MSI not found in c:\windows\temp

I don't think there's a fix for msi corruption if files are missing or unreadable in windows\installer. I don't know how being a DC or having RSD installed would be related. You can continue with the way you fixed it, run the msi directly from the repaircache directory and uninstall/repair, manually remove or use the EPR. I'm not sure if there's any way to trace back to what happened either unless you use your own system forensics to determine how files went missing in the past.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator