Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkW
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Enterprise installation problem

Hello

I have a Vista installed Sony Vaio laptop (Model: PCG 9131M)  that came with McAfee Security Center on a 30 day trial basis. The trial was about to end so I asked the IT technician where I study if there was any anti-virus alternatives available and was offered McAfee Enterprise 8.5. Security Center was uninstalled and Enterprise loaded in its place. The problem I have is there seems to be some kind of software conflict on the laptop which is preventing McAfee Enterprise from working correctly. The V shield icon appears but if you go to click on it to access the Virus Scan console it disappears and doesn't return. The program is also not listed in the programs bar, though if you go to the Program Files folder on the C drive, the McAfee folder is present.  Does anyone have any ideas?

I've noticed Norton Online Backup is present and I was wondering whether it could be linked to that? I know McAfee and Norton normally don't like each other, but Security Center did work ok alongside it. Maybe Enterprise doesn't? There is nothing related to this problem in either 'Event Viewer' or 'Problem Reports and Solutions'.

Thanks for your time

3 Replies

Re: Enterprise installation problem

Wich patch-level are you using on your VSE?

For version 8.5 you should use patch 8 but if it's possible it would be best using VSE 8.7i with patch 2 on Vista boxes

MarkW
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

Hello

Thanks for the response.

Where would it tell me this information?

Regards

Mark

There is more than likely drivers on the system from the Security Center that is having the conflict. You can download this removal tool then reboot the system. If the issue still persists, you will need to uninstall and reinstall VSE 8.5P8. You can see what patch level you are at by right clicking the VSE icon and choosing "about" and towards the bottom you will see "Installed Patches"

Download McAfee Security Center Removal Tool:

ftp://custftp2.nai.com/outgoing/rstevens/mcpr2.zip

Ron