Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zilch
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 16

Enterprise 8.0.0 5505 Can't Properly Update

I have been unable to successfully update since my PC was infected by several viruses which McAfee could not apparently identify and remove.

Fir several weeks I would get daily warnings that there was a trojan and it could not be cleaned so it was quarantined. It seemed that the root problem was not being addressed by McAfee.

So I added Avira Security Suite which found ASDY/WBug.A and HTML/Crypted.Gen. It deleted or quarantined and I have not had a problem since. Unfortunately McAfee will no longer properly update. If I manually update it goes through the steps (loading catalog z etc. Within a minute it reports successful update but when I go to the About Virus Scan Enterprise I still have the old version.

Any suggestions about how to get a proper update and any better way to have rid my PC of the viruses?

Thanks.
15 Replies
Jubo
Level 9
Message 2 of 16

RE: Enterprise 8.0.0 5505 Can't Properly Update

Moved your post to a more appropriate forum because it seems that this is a corporate version you have installed.

Installing two anti-virus/security programs is never a good idea. You should uninstall one of them.

Same problem...

I have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0. and it hasn't updated since June 13th. I don't know how to resolve this...and have tried EVERYTHING.

Is there a way to manually update the definitions?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
andyross
Level 10
Message 4 of 16

RE: Same problem...

A short-term fix is to disable 'Get other available updates (service packs, upgrades etc..)' from the auto-update properties.

After December 31, no more updates will be available at all.

What do you mean? Disable them in McAfee...or in Windows? How do I do this?

Thanks!
andyross
Level 10
Message 6 of 16

From the VirusScan console, right-click the autoupdate and choose Properties. Uncheck the option I mentioned. You will see some errors in the update log, but those are normal.

The other option is updating another part of the software (CMA?), but you need a current grant ID to download it. Ideally, you should update to 8.5 or 8.7 if possible.

Unfortunately, when I do this, I receive the same message that I get when I try to manually update. A message window pops up and says the following:

VirusScan AutoUpdate Properties - AutoUpdate

Failed to initialize Common Updater subsystem. Make sure the McAfee Framework Service is running. McAfee Common Framework returned error fffff95b @ 2

I did follow the instructions for turning on the McAfee Framework Service (Start>Run>Services Msc>Services (Local) McAfee Framework Services). Unfortunately, when I attempt to START this service, I receive the following message:

Services

The McAfee Framework Service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services start automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service.

I am frustrated...and discouraged by this. I have several things wrong with my computer now...and some of the forums that I have visited have pointed the finger at this McAfee issue.
Grif
Level 10
Message 8 of 16

This should help... You'll need to copy the FrameworkManifest.xml file from another computer using the instructions below:

- ERROR: McAfee Common Framework returned error fffff95b @ 2 (issue: FrameworkManifest.xml corrupt)
-
- https://knowledge.mcafee.com/Support...rnalId=5432392

The following errors occur after initiating an AutoUpdate:
McAfee Common Framework returned error fffff95b @ 2. (FrameworkManifest.xml corrupt)

Failed to initialize common updater subsystem

Make sure the McAfee Framework Services is running

Subsequent errors when trying to start the McAfee Framework Service:
Could not start the McAfee Framework Service on Local Computer

The system cannot find the file specified

Any of the following update methods will result in the AutoUpdate error:
• Right-clicking the McShield icon in the system tray and selecting Update Now
• Right-clicking the AutoUpdate in the VirusScan Console and clicking Start
• Creating a new scheduled task
• Editing the properties of the existing AutoUpdate task
Solution 1 - Obtain FrameworkManifest.xml from another computer:
1. Locate another VirusScan Enterprise (VSE) computer where the updates are working without error.
2. Copy the FrameworkManifest.xml from the following path:

For VSE 8.5i (running on Windows Vista)
x:\Program Data\McAfee\Common Framework

For VSE 8.5i (running on Windows XP and earlier)
x:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework

For VSE 8.0i (running on Windows XP and earlier)
x:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates\Common Framework
3. Paste the file to portable media or network share that can be accessed by both computers.
4. Click Start, Run, type services.msc, and click OK.
5. Right-click McAfee Framework Service and select Stop.
6. Copy FrameworkManifest.xml to the Common Framework directory.
7. Right-click McAfee Framework Service and select Start.
8. Update the product.
Edit/Delete Message

Of course, since it appears like this is related to a single computer, if you choose, you should still be able to download and run the manual Superdat or Datt updater from the link below:

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/dat.asp?region=us&segment=enterprise

Hope this helps.

Grif

Might be your agent version - update the agent.

If not the agent version problem then download the superdat exe and run it on the PC.

Jim

RE: Enterprise 8.0.0 5505 Can't Properly Update

What CMA version are you running as of this month it needs to be a minimum of 3.6 for DAT updates to work?
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community