Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emagcp
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

EngineServer.exe runs high CPU Usage

I am runing VirusScan 8.7i with sp3 and scan enginee 5400.1158. There is a trouble that I never saw when using 8.5i.

Somehow it's quite stragne that engineserver.exe runs automatically for 2~5 mins when I run programs, especially outlook. It will break out my work with high cpu usage.

I noticed that it often happened when I ran pattern update or continue using this notebook without shutdown for 5~7 days. So the only way I can do is reboot my notebook or close all programs. I guess maybe there are too much garbage so it needs to take a reset. But sometime it didn't work no mater what I do. So I realy like to know why this process runs so often, and how to fix it.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

3 Replies

Re: EngineServer.exe runs high CPU Usage

emagcp
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for reply, but the version I used is the last one. This problem seems not solved yet.

Anyway I get a very important message. This problem is something about McAfee & Outlook.Because this issue never happened in my another pc without outlook.

I do wish McAfee will improve this as soon as possible. Otherwise I will change another product.

Hi- I have this same exact problem.  I'm running VS8.7i w/ P3 and McAfee Agent 4.5.0 on Windows XP and Windows 7.  This problem seems to happen when it does an AutoUpdate task.  My Windows 7 computer is a HP dc5800, Intel C2D 3.0GHz, 3GB RAM and it takes it to a halt for 5-7 minutes.  I tried disabling "Global Updating" on ePO but that didn't make a difference.  I'm holding off on migrating my site to VS8.7i because of issues like this.

Have you seen this KB article?  https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB59962

I just found it today and installed the hotfix.  We'll see tonight when my computer does an AutoUpdate if it makes any difference.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community