Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emagcp
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

EngineServer.exe runs high CPU Usage

I am runing VirusScan 8.7i with sp3 and scan enginee 5400.1158. There is a trouble that I never saw when using 8.5i.

Somehow it's quite stragne that engineserver.exe runs automatically for 2~5 mins when I run programs, especially outlook. It will break out my work with high cpu usage.

I noticed that it often happened when I ran pattern update or continue using this notebook without shutdown for 5~7 days. So the only way I can do is reboot my notebook or close all programs. I guess maybe there are too much garbage so it needs to take a reset. But sometime it didn't work no mater what I do. So I realy like to know why this process runs so often, and how to fix it.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: EngineServer.exe runs high CPU Usage

emagcp
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for reply, but the version I used is the last one. This problem seems not solved yet.

Anyway I get a very important message. This problem is something about McAfee & Outlook.Because this issue never happened in my another pc without outlook.

I do wish McAfee will improve this as soon as possible. Otherwise I will change another product.

Hi- I have this same exact problem.  I'm running VS8.7i w/ P3 and McAfee Agent 4.5.0 on Windows XP and Windows 7.  This problem seems to happen when it does an AutoUpdate task.  My Windows 7 computer is a HP dc5800, Intel C2D 3.0GHz, 3GB RAM and it takes it to a halt for 5-7 minutes.  I tried disabling "Global Updating" on ePO but that didn't make a difference.  I'm holding off on migrating my site to VS8.7i because of issues like this.

Have you seen this KB article?  https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB59962

I just found it today and installed the hotfix.  We'll see tonight when my computer does an AutoUpdate if it makes any difference.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community