cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloaded DAT file will not run

Jump to solution
Downloaded DAT update file on USB to update standalone PCs with VirusScan. Tried the following and DAT file does not run and no error is given: 1. double click DAT file from USB 2. Run as admin from USB on DAT 3. Copy DAT to desktop and double click 4 Copy DAT to desktop and run as admin The above was tried with loging in as admin, disabled access protection in the virusscan console, and turned off windows firewall. Also of note: I can run malwarebytes exe update fine just by double clicking exe.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Downloaded DAT file will not run

Jump to solution

Well for some reason it is working. i right clicked on the DAT exe, properties. And noticed an empty box on bottom of properties that said unblock. i checked the box and ran fine. thanks

3 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

By executing the downloaded DAT file as an administrator you should trigger the agent updater processes which would then in turn update the product. There are a few things you can check:

1. Is VSE working? If you perform an EICAR test for example, is it detected?

2. Check the McAfee Agent logs (%Programdata%\Mcafee\Agent (or Common Framework)\Logs

>> here you can check the mfemactl.log for any potential injectors, the masvc or mcscript log might also be of use

3. Check your Windows Event Viewer for errors at time you run the file

Also you mention the file doesn't run? Can you confirm the file you downloaded and run on the system. You would be looking for the standalone DAT file on the security downloads page - not the ePO version. Both files are present on the site, so be careful which one is downloaded.

You mention the DAT update isn't run - do you not see any processes starting at all? or do you mean it just didn't install the DAT?

Which version of VSE are you running? What is the OS version?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Thank you for the response! The downloaded DAT file that I was using did work, i tried it on other machines to test. However, I will be able to answer the rest of your questions on Thursday. These machines are kiosks that run only a few programs like McAfee, malwarebytes and OPSWAT. They are running WIN 10 LSTB and this problem started once they disabled some processes but the DAT will not run on a few. The other kiosks the DAT runs fine and i have been told all kiosks are identical in setup/configuration. Hope to see you again!

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Well for some reason it is working. i right clicked on the DAT exe, properties. And noticed an empty box on bottom of properties that said unblock. i checked the box and ran fine. thanks

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.